1987 Dodge Dakota Rear

-

cybrtygr32

1967 Ratfish Fastback
Reaction score
Okay, you rear end scholars, are the early Dakota rears 7 1/4 on 4 and 6 cylinder models or do they have a larger ring gear? Just curious. Couldn't locate on internet.Would they be any stronger than the A body 7 1/4? Looking for wide width to take on Bullit wheels without spacer use on 1967 Barracuda Fastback.

Just looking to cruise, not a wheel puller!

The one in dad's '87 2.5L Dakota was an 8 1/4". If you just gotta have a 7 1/4" look under a Volare/Aspen.

With the small bolt pattern on the 67 Cuda wheels you're stuck with either a 7¼ or 8.75 rear end. If you want to convert to the 4½ inch bolt pattern, the 7.25, 8.25, and 8.75 rears are out there. The 8.75s are the strongest, but also the most expensive.

If you're not opposed to mixed breeds, the Ford Grenada, Mercury Monarch, and Lincoln Versailles of the mid 70s had 8.8 inch rear ends, 4.5 inch bolt patterns, and have the same spring spacing as the A-body. In the case of the Versailles, you also would get disk brakes. The 8.8 is stout and well supported in the aftermarket.

With the small bolt pattern on the 67 Cuda wheels you're stuck with either a 7¼ or 8.75 rear end. If you want to convert to the 4½ inch bolt pattern, the 7.25, 8.25, and 8.75 rears are out there. The 8.75s are the strongest, but also the most expensive.

If you're not opposed to mixed breeds, the Ford Grenada, Mercury Monarch, and Lincoln Versailles of the mid 70s had 8.8 inch rear ends, 4.5 inch bolt patterns, and have the same spring spacing as the A-body. In the case of the Versailles, you also would get disk brakes. The 8.8 is stout and well supported in the aftermarket.

Would you have to shorten it? Any other modifications?

Thanks for info. I have 2005 17 x 8 Bullits with 245 45 rubber. I also have an 8" Granada rear at shop, but was just wondering if the old Dakota would be more of the same as i don't really want another sorry 7 1/4 rear. I can get it for $100. The 8" is a great/stout rear but width wise it is the same as the 7 1/4. The Dakota measures almost 61" outside hub to hub. (Which is what the "05 Bullits needs to clear springs. If I ever go back to regular offset wheels, I guess I would be screwed! Having said all that, how can I tell what the '87 Dakota rear is by looking at the diff. cover? Any ideas? Thanks guys, Mopar to ya!

Oh yeah, I already have disc and arms off of a '73 duster for large bolt pattern up front. Of course, the17's pose a clearance proble I know,. Havent crossed that bridge yet! I did see a post on here some time back with Bullits on a '67 fastback. The '05 Bullits are 1/2" deeper off set than the '04's. Go figure! Thanks again guys.

There are 7.25 dakota rear ends, they also have 10 bolt covers. When you look at them, the axle tubes will narrow down before they go into the cast center area. My friend had two 4cyl dakotas, one 88 and one 94 and they both had these 7.25's, same as the diplomats. He blew one up and then we swapped in an 8.25.

All 7.25's are junk...when we blew one all to pieces with a 95hp (on a good day) 2.5L, you just plain don't want one. The 8.25 is a decent piece though.

I think some 4/wd Dakota's had the 7-1/4 up front too, but I don't know if that would work if it's designed to be spun in a different direction as the pinion points to the rear when it's mounted up front.

Some A body 7-1/4" had 10" drums with c-clip axles, they had the 4.5" pattern. Look for 73 or 74 and later slant six or 318 disk brake cars. Some got those while others got the 8-1/4".

If you are going to go to the trouble to swap one out you may as well go for a larger axle. You will have to get the driveshaft shortened but it's really not a big deal. You will be glad once you get it done.

i would like to see those how to pics you spoke of in the earlier post, do you still have them? Can you email them to me at [email protected]? I would appreciate it.

-
Back