1996 Ram Van Full size

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these?

Someone is giving one away, and my work moved and bought a building in Seattle. Not gonna leave the Coronet at a park and ride all day.

It has a 360, the guy says it has a bad freeze plug and low oil pressure when warm.

May but it and change the oil pump and freeze plug. Do these still have internal oil pumps? Cant be that hard to change on a van.

Easy access to frezze plugs and oil pan !!

My brother has a 97 1 ton 360 cargo van. 2 seats and a rbber mat.

Only problem...will get stuck on wet grass until Sure Grip is installed.

Maybe that will help with extreme right rear tire wear.

Tows really well.
WoodenBoats2001.jpg

Mike3.jpg

Mike2.jpg

I have a '95 RAM 150 with a V-6. For the price ($), how bad could it be? Check for any rust. I find that the most difficult area to work on is the front of the engine because of the high stance of the vehicle, which also makes it easier to work underneath without jacking it.

got any images of the oil pan and freeze plugs? Is that a throttle body on it?

Worst case - keep the cig lighter and turn signal bulbs and sell it to a scrapper for $400! Hard to find fault with a free van untill you start putting money into it!

Beware, I had a free puppy that cost me $3500 in vet bills and 2 free goldfish that cost me $150 in aquarium and "fish toys" what ever that it.

Found out he has done the oil pump, found a forum post about them. Turns out the 94-98 engines have a issue with the intake plenum leaking, causing the computer to make it ping, and timing chain issue.

I am gonna offer him $100

intake gaskets tend to leak also causing them to smoke, easy fix with new gasket from dealer, nice score! I would take it just for the engine, a 360 magnum in an A-body kicks ***

The paper lower plenum gasket fails, causing oil consumption and pinging. Get the metal replacement from the dealer and you will be good to go. Nice find.

intake gaskets tend to leak also causing them to smoke, easy fix with new gasket from dealer, nice score! I would take it just for the engine, a 360 magnum in an A-body kicks ***

Or a replacement engine for a Superbee clone when its time to rebuilt the 440

I have a 1998 Ram Van 1500 and haven't had any major troubles with the engine - just the occasional water pump. I'm fighting with the A/C right now, but that's because the first repair shop butchered up the works. Engine is a 5.2L 318 and don't have any complaints with it. My parents have a 99 Ram Van 1500, and they have had to replace the 360 in theirs, but that's because the previous owner had run it low on oil and the bearings went out about 2 years after they bought it.
I agree - lots of room underneath to work on the motor and change the oil filter. Changing out the spark plugs for a smog check is a pain compared to a car or pickup, but when you take off the dog house and use a couple of extensions, you can get it done.
Enjoy!

I would rather change plugs on the van than a Ram.
Check the engine pictures in my 1st post, you can do them in your sleep.

Yellowdartdave, your van is as rust-free as mine. It sure beats the typical "Redneck Corvettes" (pick-'em-up trucks) around here. At least I can haul in the rain here in Southeast Texas.

Here is my battle wagon. The last year for the Ram Van. 2003, 1500, 5.2, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.55 open axle. Been very pleased with it, bought it used with 65000 miles as an x TV repair van. Ive had very little trouble with it,other than water pump, radiator,fuel pump, and usual tune up components. I bought it to haul dirt bikes to the races and now have converted it to the Dart hauler. currently has 90000.

van 001.jpg

van 002.jpg

van 003.jpg

Don't trust the stock pressure gauge. I have an '89 D250 that shows very low oil pressure at idle when warm on the stock gauge but a mechanical gauge shows 20psi at idle.

Chuck

My boss bought the van from the Duval County School Board in 2005.
It was used by the painting crew.
106k miles, 5.9 and 3.92 gears and there was a bunch of spilled paint in the back. He wanted it to use it to haul a bunch of stuff for a cabinet shop that he was a co-owner of.
2 weeks later his partner bought him out and did not like the van so my boss kept it. I drove it once a week to keep it limbered up and the boss made 2 or 3 trips with it to West Palm Beach.
My brother's 85 305 Chevy conversion van was getting tired and he was lining up a FI 350 drivetrain and 3/4 ton suspension to install. He came down from Ohio to my house for a few days and naturally I took him to the local U-Pull-It --and let him drive the van. The 1st time he stomped it (at my insistence), it was all over. Lit the rear tire 1/2 thru first and squalled it going into second was all it took.
He came back 3 weeks later towing his trailer with his Ranger and took it home.
All the spilled paint was latex based and peeled right up. We raided a Mark111 conversion van at the junkyard so now it has p/w, power locks, power mirrors, moveable vent windows in the front doors, swing-out windows in the side and rear doors, tilt wheel and the full conversion interior.
I have sent him a chrome grille as well as a rear sway bar off a Ford dually.
It now sits in his garage and is not driven in the winter or even the rain.
It also sports a Class 4 hitch and his 1956 Oliver diesel tractor does not slow it down a bit.

DSCN0962.jpg

super_55_diesel-1.jpg

-
Back