1998 pontiac gran am code help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
ive been trying to figure out the odes on my sister car..ever where I look I cant find any of them ...if any of you guys can help it would really help...

the codes are

b1236
b1257
b1265
b1262
b1286
the car just started killing the battery over night ..se don't drive it much but she does need it as she is disable ...so im trying to help her out ...thanks for any help... im still on the we trying to find out some info on them

Looks like power window codes. Remove the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the cable and the negative battery post. If there is a draw like you say, the light will light up. Now find the fuse or circuit breaker for the power windows and remove it. I bet the light goes out. Then you will need to remove the door panels one at a time and unplug the motors one at a time to isolate it in the same way.

just checked it it with the test light and it came right on ..this car has manual windows not power ..so I guess ill get my son to pull each fuse 1 at the time til the light goes out then I chase it down from there..thank you for the help...I got a power pro a few years back and haven't really used it so I guess its time to put it to work ...

I just glanced and the first code said something about "window feedback" so I just assumed power windows. Strange. But you will find the circuit using the method described. Probably pretty quickly.

Here's the full list:
b1236 - Window Feedback Loss of Signal
b1257 - Air Temperature External Sensor Circuit Short to Ground
b1265 - Servo Motor Coolair Bypass Circuit Failure
b1262 - Servo Motor Defrost Circuit Failure
b1286 - Servo Motor Potentiometer Airintake Left Circuit Short to Battery

With the exception of the first window code, sounds like something with the climate control system. Wish I could help more, but that's out of my league. Good luck!

thanks for all the help guys ..I think I have found the problem...it took me to the body control box unplugged it and still had the short test light was still on unplug the dash cluster and bingo lights out.....now I need to find 1 or send this 1 out to get a rebuild ....wish I could figure out how to test the circuit board in this thing ..its crazy the way it is ..it has about 5 6 wires that run all the gauges lights and all in the dash...called a few salvage yards and they want 80 no return if its no good cause its electric but I can ship it out for 150/200 for a new rebuild ..but thanks again guys for the help

We just scrapped our 99 GTP in Dec..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

lol thanks for the thought anyway buddy...:prayer:

ok guys im at a lost again need help...got a dash and still have a fault..test light still lights up...so i started doing more testing ..i have a power prob 3 so i hooked it up in place of the test light so that i can have it in the car with me and see it also i can prob some of the wires ...i turn the switch on test light is on and if i stick the prob to the chassis and press the button the fuel pump comes on like i hooked the ground wire up to the battery...so am i wrong in thinking that i have a bad ground.....next thing i took the ign. switch out it has 2 plugs in it ..if i uplug 1 set of the wires the test light goes out....so what i did then was took the power prob and hooked it to the hot and ground so i can control the voltage by turning it on and off by the button on the power prob i test all the wires to see if any of them was short and nothing...if i test a wire and it is short it would trip the power prob off and i would have to rest it...but nothing...so i go back to the plug that goes to the cluster orange is battery and purple is ign...so orange works fine but purple does nothing when switch is on ( i didnt get to test it by running hot to hot and see if it would trip the prob.....ive been looking a wiring diagram for this car for days always come up with different stuff that i dont need ..any help or suggestion ...i need the ect2000 power prob but not sure if that would even help find the problem cause its not blowing fuses its just a draw that is killing the battery over night..

-
Back