1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9 360

-
Check the wires and connector to the sensor? Also check the body grounds are intact and not full of green fuzzy crap.

I found a couple of grounds that needed some attention and also the alternator , ground was starting to corrode ill take the truck for a ride in a couple of hours and will report back latrr
Thanks Aaron

I have a 2001 Ram. My truck wouldn't start. What fixed my truck was under the hood there's a big black fuse box(drivers side by the battery). Some of the wires that ran into it (fuse block) were broken. Had to re-solder them back together. I know your truck runs, but something else to check.

Passenger side behind the head towards the firewall You get at it from the top.

It looks like the crank sensor is threaded into the bell housing is that correct. The one I bought has two mounting hole on a bracket am I missing ssomething? Or did I get the wrong part?

Yes, it's bolted into the bell housing. Mine had 2 bolts holding it in. There kind of a ***** to get at.

plug wires suck and tend to arch around screwing sensors up.

you need to check plenum gasket as mentioned thru the TB, if their is oil its popped.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=233963

Cats on these trucks collapse on themselves and really kill the motor

buy some good plug wires or good phenolic separators and see where you end up.

Thanks Ed ill check the plenum gasket when I get home the truck doesn't burn any oil other then normaly usage. What year is your 5.9 Kid? The crank sensor in this pic looks like mine the one I got to replace it is different
attachment-10.jpg

Thanks Ed ill check the plenum gasket when I get home the truck doesn't burn any oil other then normaly usage. What year is your 5.9 Kid? The crank sensor in this pic looks like mine the one I got to replace it is different
attachment-10.jpg
well the odd thing is now that mine went again it dosn't suck oil either! mines a 97, and on the crank sensor you cant see it because its on the bellhousing if i recall...

Kid what is the sensor to the left of the dizzy?

oil pressure. i'll have to look and post or you can but i recall the crank sensor runs off of magnets on the flexplate/flywheel, with the sensor being mounted to the back of the head or bellhousing its self on the passenger side, about 2 o clock looking at it from the back.

oil pressure. i'll have to look and post or you can but i recall the crank sensor runs off of magnets on the flexplate/flywheel, the sensor being mounted to the back of the head or bellhousing its self on the passenger side, about 2 o clock looking at it from the back.

Yah I think it's some sort of mag pickup I just must of missed it when I was looking yesterday and I was keyed into the difference in the oil pressure sending unit and the mag pickup I got for the crank sensor

2010-01-19_201102_1.gif

Does this look about right for the crankshaft position sensor location? The weather turned bad here in mich so I didn't have a chance to work on the truck but i pulled this pic off the net

-
Back