1999 Ram 1500 won't turn over.

-

rhood

Reaction score
I need some help here. My daily driver, a 1999 Ram 1500 2wd with a 360 and auto will not turn over. When i turn the key it is dead. No click, nothing. I checked all the battery connections and all looks good. Tried jump starting and no change. I have working windows, interior lights, and the heater fan motor works. Here is the strange part. With the fan turned off the turn signal relay makes a buzz / clicking sound. Turn the fan on and it stops. None of the gauges or radio work either. I also spotted a puddle of coolant under my truck. It looks like it has come from the back of the engine. It never got hot on the drive to work, and ran fine. It is in the parking lot at work and all my tools are at home. Hoping there will be an easy fix to get it home and be able to tear into it there. Anybody have any idea of what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Rhood

hmmmm maybe check to see if you have voltage between the starter wire and the igntion switch sounds like it is in the igntion switch but I wouldnt know for sure maybe a pro will jump in soon this is just where I would start
oh and try to get a wiring digram

you jumped it at the starter and no go, check up at the starter relay/ them mesher volt a power cable at starter/ the wire will get a yucky/ if it has power to starter it sound jump at the relay like a ford.or have someone hit the starter with hammer when turning over/ flat spot. coolant leak beat to presser check / back of intake or freeze plug on back of engine . good luck als/ is battery volt 12, or more bad battery?

Ok guys, thanks for your input. Got it started. Found the problem in the wiring harness in the steering column. The power wire to the ignition switch had broken off. After further investigation I have come to the conclusion that with the tilt steering and all the years of use is the cause. The wiring harness seemed to had slipped down the column enough to shorten the wire and cause it to pull at the connection into the ignition switch. It eventually broke at the connector going into the plug on the end of the harness. I had taken the cover off the column to check out the ignition switch and apparently got the wire touching again to get it started. Got it home and flipped the tilt up and off it went. I reached down and felt the wires and got a nice spark when I touched the power wire. Mystery solved. Thanks again for the input.

Rhood

-
Back