1999 Sebring convertible 2.5L

-

moparmade43

Reaction score
Guys, my girlfriend is wanting a sebring convertible. I told her to get an older one without the 2.7 v6 there has been so much trouble with. We found a real nice one owner 99 with the 2.5 V6 and only 71000 miles at a great price, car fax shows no problems. Now, she doesnt have much money to be putting into a car to keep fixing it, other than basic routine maintenance and problems. Other than being a mitsubishi engine, I know nothing about it or these cars, would you guys that own them or have friends that own them chime in, Id like to know from some real mopar guys the truth about whether or not to stay from them. Thanks.

(I'm hoping its a well built Chrysler car because she really wants it and it has taken her a while to find one in such good condition).

Thanks to all

Never owned one but they have a good reputation. I have 2 sets of the bucket seats, they rock in an A-body.

there have been alot of distributor failures with the 2.5 v-6, replacements are pricey! other than that check the coolant for rust.

moparmade43
Check over at http://sebringclub.net It is all about the convertibles. The 2.5 san be a reliable engine but make sure the timing belt is replaced when it gets close to 100k or it will fail miserably. As said the distributors are expenxive and they do prefer oem. a lot of people chase thier tails on a problem only to chase it back to an aftermarket distributor installed. The camshaft posistion sensor is in the dist. and that is what fails. Trans problems are almost always traced to non atf4 fluid being put in. The firast gens have a weak brake system in the also. No failures but just poor braking.
The 2.7 sludge issue was straightened out after 2001 and prices are quite reasonable on the 2003 and 2004 now. They also upgraded the brakes on them by then.
If you have any other questions hit me up, I can probably help.

So what I'm gathering here is if you find a 99 that has been properly taken care of you shouldn't have too much problem with them besides the distributor. Toplscuda, have you ever owned one?

my sister in law had a 99 stratus...the front ball joint seperated on the highway...the wheel was floppin around goin 70.

-
Back