1st post, some susp. ?s

-

dmopar74

Reaction score
i got a 1973 scamp with drum brakes, power steering, and a slant six. this car wanders like crazy. i plan on rebuilding the front suspension with a poly kit, kyb shocks and torsion bars, but am unshure on which torsion bars to buy. i really enjoy a stiffer ride and would like the best cornering capability for my car without going all custom on the suspension.

the rear of the car is running mancini's xhd leaf springs, which i find terribly stiff, and when i put them on the car the pass side sat a good 2" higher than the drivers side. to remedy this i flipped the front spring hanger on the pass side, now the car sits about level. does anybody else have these springs or had the same outcome i have had? i also plan on putting the kyb shocks on the back.

It seems like you may have SS springs in the rear. The plan for the front sounds good, but I don't think it is adviseable to install heavier T-bars. How are the ball joints and tie rods? If you do the rest of the bushings etc. as planned it should drive right, assuming proper alignment. You may consider addnig a front sway bar for better cornering/handling.

are the tbars from a 318 duster the same as the tbars in my 225-6 scamp? im assuming they are, but i do have a set laying around.

They could be the same bar. My /6 with A/C came with the "318" bars, 0.085 inches in diam. I went to the "340" bars which were 0.087". I also added an Addco sway bar and it handles very well now. If you're not going with a sway ar down the road, you may want to look into some 0.0890" t-bars. Oh, it does sound like you have ss springs. Are there any part numbers on them?

Mike

They could be the same bar. My /6 with A/C came with the "318" bars, 0.085 inches in diam. I went to the "340" bars which were 0.087". I also added an Addco sway bar and it handles very well now. If you're not going with a sway ar down the road, you may want to look into some 0.0890" t-bars. Oh, it does sound like you have ss springs. Are there any part numbers on them?

Mike
yes, the part #'s on the springs match the part #'s on my paperwork for the xhd's. :confused: i never checked the tbars on the scamp since i bought it, the old owner was a little "dumb" and prob. installed the bars on the wrong sides, as the front end is seriously weak.

I didnt know the XHD's would jack up the *** end like that. Then again, my SS's didnt make mine unlevel at all! Quality control for ya!

-
Back