1st week down, got my A.P.

-

ef8340

Reaction score
so far so good at the truck driving school
1st week was a lot of multiple choice testing, theres a lot of stuff you need to know before driving one of these trucks. thankfully i have a instructor that cares. he offered to pay any student 300 bucks to get a perfect on a A.P. test. needless to say i didn't get a perfect but i did manage to get it on the 1st try. and from what i heard a lot of people have to come back and take atleast one part of the test the next day or the whole thing again. i highly recommend any of you that live in Georgia and want your CDL's to go see Ray at CDL of Georgia in winder.

2nd week starting Monday
i'll be in the yard
learning pre trip inspections and backing
wish me luck

Sounds like you're off to a good start! There wasn't that much in class time when I got my license 37 years ago. One thing I would suggest once you get behind the wheel. LEARN, how to back a truck correctly! I'm mostly a yard jockey now and I drive once in a great while so I don't forget how to do it! But with all the over the road guys that come into our place it's rare to find one that can back into a dock and stay in their space. A lot of guys end up being so crooked that they take up half of the dock space next to them and another truck couldn't get into that spot without hitting the parked truck. Our docks are close together so it doesn't take much to intrude in the space on either side. In other words they just can't get the truck square to the dock. Now I'm not saying that I'm perfect every time I back in, but I at least try and am close most of the time. And don't count on a trailer next to you being straight. I guess what I'm trying to say is that as you learn how to drive take pride in what you are doing. It's just as important to know how to back up in tight spaces as it is to drive the truck down the road. Good luck!

^^^ If the docks have lines painted there should be no excuse for being crooked, unless the lines are crooked, lol.. I go to some warehouses where there aren't any dock lines and it can be difficult to square up to the dock without them. I have only been driving for 39 years myself so maybe I need some more practice, LMAO.

Wishing you all the BLESSINGS in the world! It's a brave man that changes his vocation in the middle of his life.

^^^ If the docks have lines painted there should be no excuse for being crooked, unless the lines are crooked, lol.. I go to some warehouses where there aren't any dock lines and it can be difficult to square up to the dock without them. I have only been driving for 39 years myself so maybe I need some more practice, LMAO.
Nope, no lines! Sometimes I think that looking in the mirrors can throw you off somehow. You think that you're straight but in fact you're not. This has happened to me more then once.

-
Back