2.02's in 308's

-
Yes. There was an over the counter version with 2.02/1.60 Casting number 576 if I'm not mistaken.

Take a look got cracks in the valve seats. Good quality castings without cracks will sale here.

As said, yes they can support a 2.02
They're decent heads too.
Sometimes they're cracked. A lot of stuff from that decade did, from all makes.

The 308's on my 340 have 2.02/1.60 valves and after porting flow 264 cfm at .500" of lift. Granted nowadays for what I put into them you could just about buy a set of aluminum heads that would flow almost the same out of the box.

I just tossed a pair of 308s into the scrap ben. Are they worth keeping for someone?
They are worth 200 to 300
Very popular Superstock head
But watch for cracks from exhaust seat to plug or
Intake seat

I think that the small 302 even ported would not use
anything over 1.88 to much benefit! They are a tough head
to get over very effective intake port over 140 while the X heads are 167
without turning them into a lawn sprinkler!
My 1.78/1.50 "Stock" heads flow 220+ @ only 400 lift
At low lift the flow as good as my "Stock" 2.02/1.60 X heads.
Both cars are Nationally Competitive and held National Records.

HINT: there is much more to the valve than just the size of it
just like some parts of our anatomy.

JUST my .02 cent worth = You Mileage may Vary.
I am too old to get into any more pissing contests on here
Plus my prostate is getting bad!!
Only trying to help...

ALL Men are created Equal ---ALL Flow benches are NOT

Yes. So do 1.92 Magnum valves that have less shrouding.
Thats good info especially if it turns out they needed guides. I asked the machinist about dropping down stem diameter from 3/8ths he just said it was up to me like there wasnt much gain to be concerned with so im having him put new stainless valves in i just ordered them off mancini seemed liked the best deal around

Thanks for the info folks I had them maged before i ported them then pressure tested after. Wanted new stainless valves put in so i ordered a kit was just checking opinions if they would help or not figured they couldnt hurt anything

Thats good info especially if it turns out they needed guides. I asked the machinist about dropping down stem diameter from 3/8ths he just said it was up to me like there wasnt much gain to be concerned with so im having him put new stainless valves in i just ordered them off mancini seemed liked the best deal around
Just use 11/32 1.94 valves and save yourself some money.

I like what I see with 1.94 valves in the Mopar head. The Mopar porting templates and directions and templatesim about to dig back out here (very conservative porting to most, borderline ineffective to some) call for 2.02/1.60 valves with a specific valve job. FWIW, the results I’ve seen posted on ported 308s looked respectable, but I don’t remember the exact numbers. Quick question, though. My go to for machine work typically does 5/16 stems when doing LA Mopar heads. Any reason to stay with 11/32 stems or have you tested them?

I figure as such. He does a lot of race engines so it’s probably whatever he can get at the time that is the most available.

Last edited:
Money.

What's the price difference between 5/16 & 11/32 valves?
Is there a flow benefit ?
I figure since we're talking about valve sizes, have you seen any of the results of the experiments using 1.72 exhaust in with a large back cut? I may can see it on a W2 or the like, but am curious if the 308 or 974 head would even have enough port to use it.

I figure since we're talking about valve sizes, have you seen any of the results of the experiments using 1.72 exhaust in with a large back cut? I may can see it on a W2 or the like, but am curious if the 308 or 974 head would even have enough port to use it.
Going bigger on exhaust diameter is hardly EVER a good idea....1.6 is plenty

-
Back