2.5L YJ jeep turbo

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i got one... not being a turbo guy, and less an MPFI i have a question...

the girl has the 95 wrangler that is gutless, so i was thinking of doing a junkyard turbo system on it with maybe 5-10lbs... just for hills and such...

pretty sure a stock MAP sensor is good for 1BAR right? so would any mods need to be done to the fuel curve or would the o2 be enough??

i already swapped in a 4.0L throttle body and 1" spacer and gained 2.5mpg, and power is much better, but not enough...

stock gears and 30's...

Ill give this a shot. Im not familiar with jeeps but the basics should still apply. First off the stock map sensor is for the ambient sea level pressure of 14.7 (1 bar) that in theory an N/A engine take in out of open air. For forced induction you need at least a 2 bar map sensor. Depending on how good the jeeps stock fuel system is, it may be able to support 4 or 5 psi however you may end up maxing out the injectors at that point assuming the stock pump can supply the fuel. But yes tuning will be needed to run the best. As far as a 2 bar map sensor for a jeep goes im not sure where you could get one. To my knowledge which is limited when it comes to jeeps but I don't recall them ever making a forced induction engine mpfi or otherwise but even if they made one with mpfi its no guarantee your system would be able to communicate with it. Im sure people have turboed these jeeps before so its not impossible. Since yours is a 2.5 the chrysler 2.2 and 2.5 turbos should work fine. 80s and early 90s chrysler cars is where you'd wanna look. A stock 2.0 eclipse turbo may be small enough to give you the low rpm torque you want. Check google for jeep forums with a forced induction section and see what they are doin. Hope this helps.

Ill give this a shot. Im not familiar with jeeps but the basics should still apply. First off the stock map sensor is for the ambient sea level pressure of 14.7 (1 bar) that in theory an N/A engine take in out of open air. For forced induction you need at least a 2 bar map sensor. Depending on how good the jeeps stock fuel system is, it may be able to support 4 or 5 psi however you may end up maxing out the injectors at that point assuming the stock pump can supply the fuel. But yes tuning will be needed to run the best. As far as a 2 bar map sensor for a jeep goes im not sure where you could get one. To my knowledge which is limited when it comes to jeeps but I don't recall them ever making a forced induction engine mpfi or otherwise but even if they made one with mpfi its no guarantee your system would be able to communicate with it. Im sure people have turboed these jeeps before so its not impossible. Since your after torque a smaller turbo would give you the low rpm torque you need since it would spool quicker. Perhaps a gn turbo would fit that bill. Too small and you risk surge and at high rpm would become a restriction and kill power as well and damaging the turbo so a 2.2 chrysler turbo would probably way to small as its way to small for a 225 slant six. Check out jeep forums on google and see what they are doing. Hope this helps.

ok i shall do that! thanks

-
Back