2.66 first gear for O/D transmission

-

drewmac

Reaction score
Can I swap a 2.66 first gear into an O/D A-833? I would like to use this transmission but tighten up the gear spread a bit using stock parts. Can it be done? I was hoping for a spread like this:
1st- 2.66
2nd- 1.67 or 1.77 (1.77 is from a 18 spline transmission, can this be put on a 23 spline transmission?)
3rd- 1.1
4th- .73

I have seen some discussion on this, but no real technical answers. (I may has missed it somewhere though)

My ride- 1967 Barracuda Formula S 273

:violent1:

No you can't switch the ratios around like that. The main cluster gear is one piece and will not allow you to mix and match ratios from a diifferent trans.

Or, can you swap an standard gearset into an Iron O/D case? This way making it an regular 833 NON O/D.

Can the standard O/D gearset be put in my iron case?

No, the input shaft bearing is larger in diameter on the O/D gearset and will not fit in a standard iron case.

To get the ratios you want 2.66:1 1st gear and have O/D you would have to use the Passon Performance 18 spline gear set. It fits a standard 23 spline case. The conversion kit cost about $2000 last time i looked

Hotlines will you put me in your will! I could probably afford it then. :)

Thanks everyone. It looks like the best thing to do is to just get a stock O/D unit and use that for my application.

Iron case or aluminum? I've heard the iron cases are the ones to use with a V-8 (that is not an '80's 2-bbl smogger) over the aluminum because the input bearing will oval the case openning with any real power put to it.

Iron case or aluminum? I've heard the iron cases are the ones to use with a V-8 (that is not an '80's 2-bbl smogger) over the aluminum because the input bearing will oval the case openning with any real power put to it.

Is this true???

I have heard this to but there is a fix. By overboring the input shaft hole and pressing in a steel "race" for the shaft. I can't remember what magazine (Mopar Muscle?) did this fix but they stated it "cures" this problem. You would need a good/ great machinist to do it right though.

Can the standard O/D gearset be put in my iron case?

Yes!

Or, can you swap an standard gearset into an Iron O/D case? This way making it an regular 833 NON O/D.

Yes!

No, the input shaft bearing is larger in diameter on the O/D gearset and will not fit in a standard iron case.
So don't use the OD bearing.

Yes, you can swap an O/D gearset into a standard iron case, and you can swap a standard gearset into an aluminum case as well.

The input bearing has a different outer diameter, but uses the SAME inner diameter. You just have to use the proper bearings for the case you're using. O/D bearings were larger because of the aluminum case and the way the O/D gear places additional stress on the bearing. Ma Mopar "solved" the additional stress problem by using a larger OD bearing. The bearings on the aluminum case O/D's can still wear out their races in higher horsepower or high mileage scenarios though. Still, I know of more than one guy that's run them behind 440's.

You still can't mix and match gears though, the complete gearset has to be swapped to do either.

All the 4 speed info you ever wanted...

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Sounds like sticking with the iron case could be an upgrade but do you think the smaller bearing would wear faster in an iron case with OD gears?

Any threads on a T-56 install?

You still can't mix and match gears though, the complete gearset has to be swapped to do either.

That's not completely true. This thread has some info on that, but it really just talks about how to swap an OD gear set into a 3.09 first gear box.

-
Back