2:7? gear set?

-
D

dust4fun

currently my duster has a 8 3/4 rear end with a 2:7? gear ratio open. is it possible to buy new gears for it? also how low can I go using that carrier?

Depends on the carrier, 489,742,741.

There aren't any breaks in carriers for a particular gear set like a Dana. You can run whatever you want in the case provided gears are available.

Why not consider buying another center. You can get a good
used center from many of the great guys right here. I have
2 different ones myself. 3.23 and 3.91s. Works great if you
want to go racing and then just swap them out to go highway
hauling.
I'm running the 3.91 right now. But when I take it on Power
Tour I will put in the 3.23s.

I have a carrier with a sure grip 3:23 set. I guess what i was asking is if i can rebuild the 2:73 set to be a 3:93 or 4:11 for quick swaps?

I have a carrier with a sure grip 3:23 set. I guess what i was asking is if i can rebuild the 2:73 set to be a 3:93 or 4:11 for quick swaps?

Which carrier do you have? The part number on the carrier is cast into the drivers side right behind and below the pinion snout. The last 3 numbers are what the carrier is usually referenced by. Any ratio of gear can be installed into it's respective carrier... for instance, if you have a "741" housing, any gearset that fits a 741 housing can be installed. You will need both the ring gear and the pinion gear of the same ratio to do the swap. Your above question makes no sense, you cannot rebuild a 2:76 gear to be anything other than a 2:76. You can however find the same numbered housing and use a 2:76 gearset in it, and use another housing to put a different set of ratios into, like the above poster mentioned. Then you simply remove and replace the carriers with whichever gearset is appropriate for your intended application. Good luck with your project, Geof

Okay I think that answers my question. the car currently has a 2:76 carrier in it. in my garage I have a seperate carrier with a 3:23 gearset. swap the carriers out then replace the carrier with the 2:76 gears in it with 4:11 gears if I want. Right?

You got it. Be sure when and if you order parts for your specific case to let the vendor know which case you have. Gear sets(ring and pinion) can be had is several different ratios. Heres a tip. If you take it apart be sure to remember where the shims came from during disassembly and how many of what thickness there were. If you have never done this procedure before you may want to invest is a book from Randys. The right tools is always a blessing.
Small Block

You got it. Be sure when and if you order parts for your specific case to let the vendor know which case you have. Gear sets(ring and pinion) can be had is several different ratios. Heres a tip. If you take it apart be sure to remember where the shims came from during disassembly and how many of what thickness there were. If you have never done this procedure before you may want to invest is a book from Randys. The right tools is always a blessing.
Small Block
Thank you so much for the advice. I will take it all in. again much appreciated.

If you're considering this route, I have a 2.76 gear set for a 742 case in decent shape - coarse splined too. PM for info.

-
Back