2.7L help...please!!

-

Slanted66

Reaction score
This is a long story, so please bare with me. My shop (body and paint shop) took in a 2001 Intrepid with a 2.7 motor (with 120,000 miles) for a rear end collision. Upon completion of the repairs I was delivering the car to the customer. While I was headed to his place the oil light came on. I got it stopped pretty quickly, but I knew the damage had already been done. Oil level was at spec and looked pretty clean. Water temp was in the normal range when it quit. A mechanical shop we use said it looked like it had either a broke crank or rod. Does anybody have any insight as to known issues with these motors? The customer is now suing us for a motor!!

Thanks!!!!

Slanted66

If the car was stolen then wrecked, then brought to your shop for repairs, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Could it be sludge? Is it knocking? Bad pressure switch or wire came off switch?

I know that in 2001 they changed that motor to a more snotty version with a variable intake system............I had one in my Sebring Convert and it was a little beasty....BUT, I never ran across any inherent problems with that particular motor.............. I would check Chrysler for a possible recall.......

If nothing exists, the owner still has to prove some sort of negligence on your part to make this stick........The rear-end collision alone could have caused an inadvertent problem that spiraled to what has happened, but if it ran fine, there's no way you could have known such a thing.

If the owner ASKED you to deliver it to their home, then there is a possible precedent for your defense there as well. If you checked the oil at the shop BEFORE you drove the car, there's another point of defense.

I would also check with their Chrysler dealer, or do a Carfax on that car to see if there was a history of complaints or repairs done on the motor....It could have bee a pre-existing condition, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they had their car serviced at a local shop, they should have some records as a point of defense.......If they did NOT have the car serviced regularly, that's another point of defense.

Just stay calm and cool. Gather up all your facts as soon as possible.....the more info you gather, the better.......BUT, in my experience, this is just bogus unless they can prove negligence.......Like loaning someone your car with a worn tire, and then when they blow the tire, you sue them for a new tire........it's frivolous. :read2:

Just found this:

Your oil light flickering is actually a know problem with the 2.7 liter Intrepids, in fact a TSB (technical service bulletin) came out in 1999 for '98 & '99 Intrepids for the flickering oil light at idle. TSB #08-36-99 which fixes oil light flicker at idle for fully warmed up engines. The fix for this problem is to get a $15 wire from the dealer (part # 05017800AA) and have it inserted into the oil pressure sending unit wire connector. Some mechanics might tell you to replace the oil pressure sensor as well, though that is not entirely necessary, just have the vent wire installed and you should be good to go, as long as you don't have any significant oil pressure drop.

Also found this:

www.dontbuyone.com and join in on the class action lawsuit against chrysler about that 2.7 litre motor.
You can buy that motor new from Chrylser for $2400.00 they will NOT give a warranty with it though.
I wont go into the 4 page reason why I say this Just goto that website and read it yourself.
That motor has a very tiny hole that the oil pumps through in the front of the motor. That gets clogged and starts oil pressure problems. NONE of those 2.7's have made it past 80 thousand miles. Most trash out around 35 thousand. You are getting lifter noise because it has an oil pressure problem now. Hey, 100 thousand mechanics cant be wrong, goto that website and see for yourself.

Our 2000 Interpid has a 2.7 and it blew up at about 40,000 miles. Thank god it was still under warranty, but the service manager told us that we need to make sure that we changed the oil at 3,000 miles or less because of small oil return holes in the top of the motor. I would think you will be able to find something on the internet about this problem if you look. I'm hoping that if the motor goes again I'll ask them to upgrade it to a HEMI!!!:-D

It looks like I should have read Ramcharger's post a little closer, but that is what happened to our 2.7L. Sorry to repeat.

-
Back