[WANTED] 2 barrel air cleaner base (and cover)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuda Al

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Wanted base for an unsilenced 2 barrel air cleaner like this one...
2018-01-19_004.jpg

2018-01-19_005.jpg

2018-01-19_001r.jpg

Alan

Alan, did they ever make a 2bbl Slant Six base for that air cleaner? I don't think they did. Remember, the snorkel-style 2bbl V8 air cleaner sat too high on the slant six and put a dent in the hood pad. You have the 2bbl V8 version on your Barracuda, right? So you could test it.

I might also surmise that since the height of the unsilenced air cleaner is set by the height of the filter element, you could possibly find a shorter element in a close-enough diameter, to make it clear.

I did try it last night, it did appear to work. I could see where an air cleaner was rubbing the hood pad.
I still plan on doing a foil test to see what the clearance is.

Alan

I found an old Cal Custom air cleaner the same size and just used the base. That’s a Stromberg 2 barrel under the Commando lid.

AB1C581B-9A5D-4DC5-B5C3-62C7225B9597.jpeg

B9CBEE8D-330A-40DB-8363-E32B5531E1C4.jpeg

I ended up cutting out an aftermarket 4bbl base and fit it into the unsilenced cover to give the "look" I wanted. Looked for a while trying to find something compatible and was given that idea.

If you could find a database that listed air filter element diameters and heights, you could probably find one that would drop the height just enough. For instance, Fram discontinued the proper Commando air filter, but I found a Buick element that fit the housing and was maybe a 1/4 inch shorter. Then I figured out that Wix and NAPA still had the correct element.

Oh, BTW, Alan, last week I swapped the little stud bracket on top the carb for one with a shorter stud. The old stud stuck up well above the cover lid. It was the stud on the original (?) Holley that cut the rip in the hood pad (I suspect the Holley was a replacement for another carb that behaved just as badly — my dad and several mechanics chased the stalling problem for years with no success). I cut it down shorter after I got it. The 1bbl is a different bracket though you could probably make them interchange by bending the wires enough.

If you could find a database that listed air filter element diameters and heights, you could probably find one that would drop the height just enough. For instance, Fram discontinued the proper Commando air filter, but I found a Buick element that fit the housing and was maybe a 1/4 inch shorter. Then I figured out that Wix and NAPA still had the correct element.

Oh, BTW, Alan, last week I swapped the little stud bracket on top the carb for one with a shorter stud. The old stud stuck up well above the cover lid. It was the stud on the original (?) Holley that cut the rip in the hood pad (I suspect the Holley was a replacement for another carb that behaved just as badly — my dad and several mechanics chased the stalling problem for years with no success). I cut it down shorter after I got it. The 1bbl is a different bracket though you could probably make them interchange by bending the wires enough.

Fram
CA160 3.26" tall (4bbl)
CA162 2.78" tall (2bbl)

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back