2 barrel camshaft

-

Cuda65Steve

Reaction score
Finally getting around to swapping over my 225 to a 2bbl Carter. Should I look for a larger cam to work better with my existing 2.5" flowmaster exhaust ?? Or stick, with the stock stick?
I have a 7.25" with a peg-leg 3:55 ratio.

IMG_2632.JPG

I've run a 500 Edelbrock, Clifford intake and headers,stock cam and 2 1/2'' single exhaust to the rear bumper.
I only changed the valve springs to 340 speck springs. Heck of a different car after that.You will be ok with the cam you have with the 2 bbl.

Long time ago, had a 67 Barracuda slant six, automatic, stock converter, 3.23 gears, small four barrel and 2.25 exhaust. With stock cam, it ran low 18's in the quarter. Milled the head .090 and stuck in a .440 lift Comp Cam, picked up more than a full second in the quarter. Zero to 30 it was not a bit quicker, but from there on up it came alive. Great passing power, and picked up 15-20 mph on top end. So my vote would be to change cams.

FWIW. Look at the stock cam specs. They improved a tiny bit over the years but my 1964 warmed up 225 was about .375 lift stock.
I sent my core to Oregon cams and had him regrind it for about $100 including shipping. He recommended 2 grinds and i went with the milder version because my car was built as a driver. I think the lift is now in the .440 range. I remember it being slightly hotter than a 318 cam so not radical at all. Idles great and I get 24 MPG freeway with 3.23 gears.

-
Back