2 keep exhaust questions going......

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. I know there are tons of questions about exhaust out there. Hell I have posted a few myself. So here is my thinking...
Most people say to use a 2 1/4" exhaust for the /6 225. But there are no mandrel bend kits out there to buy. Even in a V8 version to modify, or am I looking in the wrong place?
I've also heard "take to a local shop and have one made". But if they take a 2 1/4 inch pipe and "crush" bend it, you will loose 1/2 in bending process. Right? Thus taking the pipe to a 1 3/4". Some say that just one crush bend would make it not flow as well. So would it then be a 1 3/4 exhaust?
I need a new exhaust so with this thinking should I go to a local shop and ask for a 2 1/2 crush bend pipe? That way I will have at least a 2" exhaust to help the / breath better.
Right now the motor is untouched inside and stock head. Yes "someday" it will be upgraded when money is not an issue. The motor does have a Offy 4bbl intake and a to large Holley 1850-600cfm on it. (the carb was just part of the deal for the for motor, 390 on its way). Also has an unknown brand 6 to 1 long tube header.
So I guess to take a short story and make it long, the question is, When I go to an exhaust shop do I ask for a 2 1/4 pipe or ask for a 2 1/2 in pipe for exhaust?
Oh and I kow there may be answers on the /6 site but I'd rather stay here. Thanks for all the help FABO has given me already and I know in the future I will need more. :love7:

Some shops are better than others. Ask to see a sample of the bending they do. I've seen some horrible wrinkled pipes and some that are just barely squished. The pipe on mine looked like someone bent it with a vise :lol: just barely bigger than 1" at the bent section over the axle....The problem with going too big is the infamous /6 drone. I ended up cobbling a 2 1/2 system into the car with a dynomax turbo muffler knowing that it was temporary ( until the turbo goes in ) and the drone isn't that bad but MUCH louder than crushed 1 7/8 pipe that was almost a whisper.
That being said, I think 2 1/2 crush bend would be fine, that's what I run...

you dont lose that much diameter with a shoe and die bender. At least not with someone that knows what they're doin. my guess is, you'd never feel the difference between mandrel bent and not. if you're worried about it just go 2.5".

why not just build ur own?? just buy 2.25 round tube stock at a metal yard, like 15 bucks. then just figure out what angle u need and divide that angle in half and cut it. then rotate the pipe 180* and there is ur "bend".

I have not seen any problems with mandrel bent 2 1/4. Most shops can do a good job as the customer base is limited and they want to stay in business.
Frank

-
Back