2 speed rear end

-

god.favored

Reaction score
Hey just wondering, my dad was telling me about a two speed rear end that was in an old rambler he rode in one time that acted like an overdrive, anyone know anything about this? im thinking about getting one of these for my 64 valiant because apparently someone swapped the rear end on my car at some point in time and now the car has a hard time gettin up to 65 mph. (just in case you need to know its a 64 valiant with a 273 v8 and the torqueflight 3speed push button auto) any info woud be great thanks guys

It was probably a mechanical overdrive unit on the back of the 3 speed manual gearbox......you pull the handle under the dash out to engage it. The only 2 speed rear ends I've ever heard of were on some experimental Fords or Mercurys. You could probably find out more if you Googled it.

god.favored, Cudavert is right in regards to the Rambler OD. But Columbia
made a very popular 2 speed rearend that was installed in many 30's and
40's Fords. Every now and then a car is listed on Ebay or some other
auction site with the Columbia option.

Most of your 2 speed rear ends where for larger trucks for the low rpm grunt, same idea brought around the "brownie" that was a lot like a gear vendors setup. What rear gear are you running in the rear end now?

It was probably a mechanical overdrive unit on the back of the 3 speed manual gearbox......you pull the handle under the dash out to engage it. The only 2 speed rear ends I've ever heard of were on some experimental Fords or Mercurys. You could probably find out more if you Googled it.

Exactly. A cousin of mine had a Rambler with the o.d. unit on the back of the trans. and the control under the dash.

-
Back