2 wire alternator

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Ok on my cuda someone really 'riged' everything, the belt configuration is like anythign my dad has seen, all the wiring is all messed up, i get no spark awwwww and the guy put a 2 wire alternator on my car, it has dual pullys how does this work

i have the orginal /6 wiring setup and one wire going to the alterntor, how do i get power to everything with only one wire hooked up, i tried looking around the house/yard and no luck with a one wire, not even with my dart :sad9: can someone show me a setup of how a belt setup should be on my cuda 318 ps and fan thats it, right now it has 3 pullys on the crank, then the front most one runs the fan/ps, and the middle runs the alternator...its so riged. Do i have to run a one wire, id like to, can i adapt it to 2 wire.

mainly i wanna get the bet setup right, right altertor, and for the car to fire.

i need a belt diagram
electronic ign diagram
and an explanation on how a 2 wire alt works on my one wire car

thanks i'm really stuck here

You should have a 2 wire alternator with a green wire that goes to the field side of your voltage regulator and a large black wire that goes into the center bulkhead connector. It sounds like that car had A/C at one time, which someone has removed. One belt should run your water pump and alternator and another should run your power steering pump. Just sight them from the sides and you`ll see what goes where. Hope this helps some.

Longone is right. And it should have a 2 wire alternator.

Look close at your wiring harness the small green alternator wire might be broke off close to the tape (seen this happen before).

Man I wish you would have posted this about 2 days ago. I just switched my 68 over from exactly what you have to the newer dual field system and March serpentine system. If I knew I would have taken pictures of the old system and sent them to you. Bummer.

well i'm not certain about the ac part, but this guy realy riged up my setup here. i am presuming he just used what he had and made it work, there are lot of washers on the alternator bolts and such for them to line up. i didnt know these old of cars had 2 wire alt. i'll look in the harnnes to see if there is another wire but i dout it. The reason my /6 alt. wouldnt work is cause the belts wouldnt match up, if i tried to run a belt from the crank to the alt it would hit the waterpump :silent:

A 66 would have a single field wire connection and one connection for the output. 70 and newer alternators had two field windings and an output connection.

The 70 up design is a better performing alternator and eliminates most of the dimming of the lights at idle the old style experienced.

If some one installed the 70 up style it also would require the new style alternator that uses the triangular plug.

One of the field windings attaches to the field termainl on the regulator, ususally green. The other field winding would be attached to switched 12v, ussually blue.

1966 dart wagon said:
well i'm not certain about the ac part, but this guy realy riged up my setup here. i am presuming he just used what he had and made it work, there are lot of washers on the alternator bolts and such for them to line up. i didnt know these old of cars had 2 wire alt. i'll look in the harnnes to see if there is another wire but i dout it. The reason my /6 alt. wouldnt work is cause the belts wouldnt match up, if i tried to run a belt from the crank to the alt it would hit the waterpump :silent:
When you say "2 wire" are you refering to 2 small wires and one large wire or just 2 wires period because 2 wires is the minimum any Chrysler alternator ever used. One large black wire and one small green wire. That's what all pre-70 Chrysler cars used. Like DGC said the newer 70 up ones used a 3 wire setup (one large black and 2 small wires, one green and one blue).

My alternator was all rigged up when I got my car too. I found Ace Hardware has a nice selection of spacers. I got some close to size and cut them to the proper size and got rid of all the crappy looking washers. If you have an Ace close by you might check into it.

You need a post-70 style alternator and regulator to convert it to the 3 wire setup. You'll also need a plug for the regulator. The plug is available at NAPA as are the alternator and regulator if you don't have them. It's pretty simple. The 2 field wires (small blue and green wires) coming off of the alternator go to the regulator and the blue wire also hooks up to the ballast resistor where the original regulator hooked up. Of course your car don't have the blue wire. You'll have to run it. This is a worthwhile upgrade. I did it on my 68. Before I did it my headlights pulsed constantle at idle. Now they don't. Charging is much smoother. It was real jumpy on a meter too. I'm sure that wasn't good on the stereo.

I have a schematic I tried to upload but I have a new program and can't figure out how to post pictures with it yet. I can e-mail them, just can't get them to post. If you wan't a schematic of the newer system just e-mail me and I will send it to you. [email protected]

i got the email, but no attachment or pic of any kind, do you think you could try and resend it, or post it on here, you could just use paint and draw it up me and sig did that :thumblef:

Let me try e-mailing it one more time from my different e-mail account. I haven't ever done the paint/draw thing so I'm not sure how to do it. In the mean time I'll play with it though and get familiar with it so if the e-mail don't work I can do that.

hey guys. just thought i would throw my 2 cents in. the easy conversion for that is yes, the dual field square back alternator, the old regulatore has 1 green and 1 blue wire going to it. the new triangle plug has 1 green and 1 blue. match them up and add a second length of blue to the second field on the alt. its that easy.

-
Back