2002 Magnum Wiring/Security ?

-

slicknapier

Reaction score
Alright guys, sorry this is my first post on the forum, but it seems everytime I google Mopar stuff it seems like I always end up here! Looks like there's a lot of knowledge and good info here which I appreciate.
I recently bought a 2002 rolling chassis Durango to pull the drivetrain out to put in my 63 Dodge crewcab. The plan is to use most of the wiring harness and the Durango instrument cluster. I thought I had most of the important stuff wired yesterday, but I couldn't get it to crank. I could here the starter relay click, but it would not crank. I could jump the starter wire and it would crank, so starter is good. I think my problem might be the security issue? When I hook up the battery the security light comes on the gauge cluster. Do you guys think this is my problem? And can it be eliminated? Should I just not use the gauges and just wire the basics? I would really like to use the cluster to monitor everything, but it's not necessary. I am also going to run the Durango transmission and fuel tank/pump. I just downloaded the entire wiring diagram including all the pin out locations and functions. I will study that today with hopes of firing it tomorrow. Any help or info leading me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, andrew

for simplicity, you would probably be better to use your truck gauges and starter relay, that way you would not be trying to use it through the computer system. as far as I know, a security enabled computer will start 3 or 4 times and die, then wont start. if yours is a security system, you'll have get the computer reflashed to get away from the security deal. mine is an 01 magnum and does not have security, so it may be possible to get an older computer from the u-pick yards, but good luck with that. there are places that will fix your comp. troubles, but cant give you any names. get ahold of player1up. I think he had his done. dave.

Thanks for the reply, not what I wanted to hear, but oh well. I'm just wondering if there is a way around it without having it flashed or to bypass something?

Doesn't sound like your cranking issue is security to me, I would double check all of the power and grounds from the ignition switch and relays first. If you pull the relay and jump the 30 and 87 terminals in the box it should crank over even if the security is keeping it from running. If it doesn't crank you know it's either in the power to the fuse box, small wire or connections to the starter, or a ground issue.

Alright, so i went back through.and tried to ground everything that looked like a ground. Still just clicks using the key. I can put the key in the run position and jump the.starter and it runs fine? Also, it periodically it throws a no bus code.

Well I'm an idiot. After all morning of chasing wires I found the plug on the ignition switch was not completely clicked in. After clicking it in it fired right up:cheers:

Congrats, and that will be a unique toy when your done

Glad to see it's working, that will be a cool truck!

-
Back