2018 Ram fuel milage questions

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 ram 1500 hemi quad cab with 3.21 gears. I get 22-23 mpg on highway. I am thinking on trading it up to a 2018 long horn or harvest model and they all seem to come with 3.92 gears. Almost all of my driving is highway. What do you get with the 3.92 gears on the highway? I did put a k&n filter in mine, otherwise stock. Can I expect a drop in milage or stay the same? I want to get as much info before getting another truck.
Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
Not that it is an apples to apples comparison but the 2015 4x4 ram we have has 4:11 gears and a 6.4. Best it gets is 12 average.

You must also consider the transmission gearing, tire size, and gross vehicle weight.

I want to go from a 2017 quad cab express to a 2018 crew cab Big horn. Both have same wheels, engines, transmissions GVW. Only difference is 3.21 vs. 3.92. I have heard that some ppl got better milage with the 3.92s. Trying to do my research before buying another truck.

Your original post says a 2007 ram. I could only assume that with a higher gear ratio, that the mileage would become lower for those few extra hundred or so rpms. I suppose it also depends on if you’re towing or not. Those extra hundred rpms could allow you to avoid downshifts going up a hill, saving fuel.

A lot of people say a lot of things and fuel mileage is highly miscalculated along with variables of fuel type (ethanol or non), speed, gross weight, altitude, modifications, and tire type to name a few.

I’d say If you’re looking for a new truck just for the fuel mileage, write out the mathematical possiblities and go from there. If your goal is to save money on fuel, calculate exactly how much fuel you’d need to save to make the new truck purchase worth while. You may receive the answer in the math.

Lets say after vehicle cost, taxes, title, insurance, trade in, life-of-loan cost, etc. that the new truck will cost you to spend $5k more initially just to purchase it. You’d then figure out how much fuel you’d need to save to cover that cost and actually make the trade worthwhile and net you savings. You may do the math and it comes out to be 3mpg you’d have to save to make it worthwhile. I’d say that’s almost impossible for 2 nearly identical vehicles. Unless you slam it to the ground and use a speed limit of 65.

my 09 Quad cab 5.7/automatic/with 3:90 gears averages 20 mpg combined.(unless im towing the duster then i get 13 to 15 mpg.......................................jeff

my 09 Quad cab 5.7/automatic/with 3:90 gears averages 20 mpg combined.(unless im towing the duster then i get 13 to 15 mpg.......................................jeff

So A body Mopars not only don't get very good mileage but even cause a MPG drop in the vehicle towing it.:D

I wish I had 3.92s instead of the 3.54s in my Ram. I am quite sure I would get better mileage.

With double O.Ds and 33" tall tires final drive drops the rpms way too low in the powerband. And Hemis are not known for low end torque.

Sorry, I had to edit that. I am currently in a 2017 ram 1500 quad cab express. I need a bigger cab, since we turned our babys car seat from rear facing to forward facing, there is no room.
With everything identical except gearing, wondering how much different milage would be, if any either way. Mainly wondering what everyone is getting.
Thanks Paul

I have a 2017 standard cab 3500 with a 6.4 and 4.10 gears, it is a complete pig on fuel, averages 10 mpg.
I bought the truck new almost a year ago, and just do not drive it, it has 3,000 miles on it now.
The fuel mileage is horrible, I just drive my old jeep, and just use the truck when I need to tow or haul something, even then most of the time I use my old 78 powerwagon, at least it gets 14.5 mpg.

my 2014 slt with 30,000 kms has 3.92's and there is basically no difference in mileage between mine and my brother in laws 10,000 kms 2017 big horn with 3.21's. I think theres about 100 rpm difference at about 65 mph between the 2 or so.
Personally i love the truck, good power and driving sensible in the highway I can get high 27/28 mpg (calculated with imperial gallon here in Canada)

-
Back