225/170 Interchangability

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
OK, I may have a chance to buy a 40,000 mile '73-ish 225, possibly for a decent price. It is a manual transmission engine.

What would I have to do to make this fit where my current 170 sits in my '65 Dart wagon (that has a 3-speed on the column)?

It would be stupid of me to pass up a good motor if it will fit in my wagon, especially since the current engine may or may not burn oil (I haven't driven it enough to figure it out).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

This gets confusing for me ,, But I think you can, I have a 170/6 66 model and I have been told I have got to find a early trans to go 4 speed or automatic .. That being said ... you are going to keep the early trans and go with a later model engine , you may just have to use a bushing in your crank (225) and be good to go, but I am not the one to ask, let a good tech jump in here and clear this up.. and good luck

Charlie_S (or such) here sells a ~$20 bushing to fit an early torque converter snout into a later (68+ or so) crank. I don't know the story on manual transmissions. I think the "pilot hole" diameter similarly increased, plus I think the hole needs to be deeper for the bearing, but your 73 engine was for a manual so should be deep enough.

Thanks guys...I also ran this by the Slant Six forum and they say it's all good...I'll just need to swap oil pans and adapt the exhaust a bit.

Great. But check the register hole size in the crank first, as 2 of us mentioned, or you may be sorry.

I've decided to buy this 225, because the 170 seems to be nearing the end of its useful life (smoky exhaust, rolls down the driveway in 1st, sounds like I'm doing a plugless compression test when I start it).

I've read I'll have to swap the oil pan to my Dart's pan, but does anyone know if I'll have to change the pickup? If so, are there any gaskets involved there? I've never been inside a slant six (yet), so sorry if these are basic questions. My goal is to swap this out the weekend of the 19th. Everything looks like a straight swap for the most part, other than matching up the exhaust somehow.

No bushing needed with a manual transmission but you will need to use the flywheel from the 225 as the crank in the newer engine has a larger flywheel register. You must use the oil pan and pickup from the 170 engine. You will have to clean the pickup tube and reuse it as new ones are not available. Motor mounts will need to come from the 170. The only other issue you may have is the exaust pipe you may have to fab up a 1 inch spacer between the exaust manifold outlet and the exaust pipe as the 170 engine is 1 inch shorter than the 225. Without this the exaust pipe may hit the clutch linkage or the floor pan. Many 170 cars may have a 225 exaust pipe on them if it has ever been replaced. The only gaskets would be a oil pan gasket and a pickup tube gasket. Also check the 225 crank it may already have a pilot bushing in it if not install one.

Brian

Perfect! Thank you! I may pick up a new pilot bushing and throwout bearing while I'm in there...

Are all of the car / flywheels the same size? I know that my '65 170 has a tiny flywheel that won't accept a clutch bigger than ~9.25" or so. Seems to me that if the 225 has a larger flywheel that this might be a problem?

Are all of the car / flywheels the same size? I know that my '65 170 has a tiny flywheel that won't accept a clutch bigger than ~9.25" or so. Seems to me that if the 225 has a larger flywheel that this might be a problem?

The early slants use a small hole flywheel 68 and up use a larger hole flywheel 1.95 and 2.15 od crankshaft hub all car flywheels take the same 9.25-9.50 clutch you can use a 10 inch clutch but you must use special bolts like header bolts or allen headed bolts to clear the pressure plate see this article http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Brian

The early slants use a small hole flywheel 68 and up use a larger hole flywheel 1.95 and 2.15 od crankshaft hub all car flywheels take the same 9.25-9.50 clutch you can use a 10 inch clutch but you must use special bolts like header bolts or allen headed bolts to clear the pressure plate see this article http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Brian

I'll be using the new flywheel, etc., but will my '65 bellhousing bolt up? I'll be using my '65 transmission.

My slant truck is 11 inch clutch original equip

-
Back