225 /6 sounds like it missing??????

-

shawn65

Reaction score
:banghead::banghead::banghead:Just need a little guidance. I have a 225 /6 and I have new plugs, wires, points, and cap. She starts up good and drives fine. Now here is where it gets a little weird. When she is warming up it sounds like there is a miss. When you’re driving its fine. But at the stop light you can hear it and see it in the tachometer. If I drive to the store or something and start the car it then sounds like its starving for fuel. I checked the timing which is at 5 degrees BTDC with vacuum advance off....with vacuum advance I’m at 25 degrees. I believe this is correct. Checked all wires and plugs which are good... adjusted the points as best as I could replaced the coil, condenser, (inside the dist and at the coil) I’m still having this miss...any ideas:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Check for a vacuum leak. two possibilities that come to mind are the base of the carburetor and the power brake booster if the car is equipped. you can pinch the brake booster hose and see if the idle picks up at all. If it does, you've found your miss. you can spray carburetor cleaner around the intake and carb gaskets to rule out leaks there.

i would go back and pop the valve cover and set your valve lash. could be a stuck float in your carb. my experience has been that 9 times out of 10 those little carbs like to give you a headache with the choke or a float. i had a miss i couldnt get rid off until i set my valves which hadnt been adjusted in years...my $0.02

Sounds like there are two problems I see right off. First, there's not enough initial timing. 10-12* initial checking for spark knock should not be too much. Secondly, if you have 25* timing at idle with the vacuum advance plugged in, you have it plugged into the wrong spot. Sounds like it's on a manifold vacuum port. It should be on a ported vacuum circuit. In other words, there should be no vacuum on it until you open the throttle. Get those two things corrected first and report back.

if you have 25* timing at idle with the vacuum advance plugged in, you have it plugged into the wrong spot..

X2

But in addition, you may have a worn distributor, and adjusting the points "as best you can" just doesn't cut it. Don't you have a dwell meter? I'd either GET one, or convert it to breakerless. All you really need is a breakerless distributor and an HEI module. You don't HAVE to use the fancy "E core" coils" that some tout.

Can you determine if it sounds like one or two cylinders, IE a rythmic thump, or more intermittent, scattered? TOO MUCH advance can cause this, and was a COMMON problem on Chivvie sixes

What shape is the engine in, you ever run a compression check? Does it use oil? Oil up the plugs?

Valve adjustment?

SERVICE MANUAL?

WHAT YEAR is your car?

Go through this thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Leaky valve cover gasket.I allways adjust valves and change gasket first,,,2 things that allmost allways needs to bee done on a slant.Guzzi Mark

As far as the vacuums advance being hooked up wrong... I have a holly 1920 rebuilt by a local carb shop and there is only one place the vacuum advance can go??? The Pcv valve and oils breather are the only othe place but the inlet is way to big. I don't have a tool to check the points... This is my first car with points so not to familer. I have a repair manual that I will use to adjust the valves. As far as the distributer I suppose I could get a new one. The motor was rebuilt when I bought it... I took the oil pan off to switch with my original oil pan and inside was really clean and gave me that WOW exspretion. The heads look almost brand new... I know this means really nothing but it runs very strong. I pulled my plugs today and did not see any fouling. I started it up and when it was warm I pulled my vacuum advance off and the motor wanted to die. Maybe the Adium advance on the dist is going out. I dunno... This week I'm getting into the rearend and tranny. To clean and change fluids... After that I will look into checking the valves and such... Where can I get a NEW dist. I wanna stay with points I heard about a lot of issues changing to an electronic dist. Sorry if there are any miss spells this is hard to type on my phone...

electronic ignition is the only way to go IMO. it is maintenance free once it is set up. with the conversion kit and new distributor , it is plug and play. i like the old points, but i love the EI. just putting it out there...

I think you have carburetor issues. Possible things to check for are; improper float level (low = lean); throttle plates opened too wide by idle speed adjustment screw compensating for idle circuit problems (crud, dirt, plugging internal passages); and vacuum leaks at base of carburetor (check for flatness of carb base, sloppy throttle shafts cheap gasket.

Other places to look for vacuum leaks are at mating of manifold runners and head, if equipped power brake booster tubing and diaphragm, and any vacuum actuated devices.

One other thought, I believe (I’m not fluent in Lean Burn) lean burn carburetors don’t have ported vacuum taps, because lean burn engine’s distributors did not use vacuum advance; advance was controlled by the lean burn computer.

i would agree with everyones posts that you are having a carb/vaccum issue, but once i set my valve lash not only did it get rid of my misfire, but all around performance was better and it ran so much smoother and quieter

I started it up and when it was warm I pulled my vacuum advance off and the motor wanted to die.

This tells me that you ARE tapped in to a manifold vacuum source, which isn't right......right?? Stock 225's are ported vacuum advance, correct?

At any rate, I ALWAYS had a better running slant 6 whenever I adjusted the valves, which is about every 4~6 months. I was using my Dart as a daily driver. Another thing.....play with your idle mixture screw. It could be turned in a little too much, which will make it run lean and weird and finicky. Give it all it wants.

I’m going to take pictures of my carb.... I only see 1 place the vacuum advance hose can go...

As you can tell I’m not a carb guy so i will take the car to the carb guy that rebuilt it for me...

I will also do a valve adjustment this weekend...

I will keep you al posted...thanks guys...

I think i know what may be a part of the issue.... you see i don’t have a cable throttle linkage…. I have a bar that comes out of the fire wall that connects to the carb... I adjusted this a little bit and it ran better... still misses a bit but not as bad... very interesting

-
Back