225 cant do a burnout

-

zerglin87

Reaction score
I have a 4 door 71 dodge dart slant six, 225, with a single barrel that seem to refuse to do burnouts, I could do burnouts after i popped in a new head and holley 1920 carb, but that was probably a few years ago. I been going through carbs like toiletpaper (I blame remanufactering companies.) I dont know if i know but would running lean on the carburator be the issue here folks?

Ignition is pretty much new so it cannot be the "spark plugs or the spark plug wires", I also like to add that the ignition timing is 2.5-3 degrees retarded, or was it advanced? Oh well basically i increased the low end torque with the ignition timing, thats what i did.

hows the timing, have you checked it in a while? what did the old plugs look like when you took them out? they should tell you if it was running too lean or too rich.

i have a 68 dart with the slant 6 225 in it and i got it to butrn one time and that was only cuz we made a wet box.

With a 7¼ rear, I'm hesitant to even try burnouts. A little sturm und drang burnout isn't sufficient thrill to risk damaging the rear end.

hmmm, sounds like something isn't right. What seems to be the reason for swapping carbs? are they leaking ( vacuum or fuel ) ?
Double check the settings on the carb ( float level, idle mixture, accel pump, etc. ) If you want to "wake" it up a little, try setting the timing somewhere in the 6*-10* BTDC range ( probably like 8* without pinging )

The slant should have enough torque to BOIL the right rear while power braking even with a 1bbl carb. After adding a 2bbl and advancing the timing, mine would lay down a peg legged burnout for as long as I want to hold the pedal down.

...now where is that one wheel wonder burnout smiley :)
now that it has a 4-speed.... :toothy7: still peg legged but what a blast!

My 225 cant do it on dry pavement, but dirt and a little wet no problem.
The engine is rebuilt, and has new 2 brrl carb. On hwy the car screams though.
I had thought about putting 4:10's in it.

a holley 1920 uses the same jeta as a 4bbl holley so play with the jets go up to like a #56 jet and try that, mine 1920 had like #48s in it stock

-
Back