225 rebuild question...

-

DouglasMB

Reaction score
I bought my son a car and we got it running, one of the rods keeps slipping, my borther said it was something about a valve sticking... we are going to rebuild the whole thing just be cause we do not know what is in there and there is a lot a build up. This is my first time doing anything like this and i have people looking over my shoulder to help me and my son do this together. My question is, where is the best place to get complete rebuild kits for a 225 out of a 65 dart? Thanks

Review info on the slant six forum....there is much info.

Slant six.org is a great site for info on the build.

Here is a site with plenty of parts.

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/slant-six-6-performance-parts/wiseco-225-slant-6-six-pistons.php

Fel-pro for the gasket set.

Cam from comp cams.

E-bay for the valves and springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/225-...393QQitemZ390333121427QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/225-...c53QQitemZ380354911315QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

Aussie Speed for hop up parts.

http://aussiespeed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=33

Hopefully you can re-use some of your parts.

now I plan on having a little help but for the most part I am buying a book and my son and I are going to go step by step and try and do this in a weekend. We are going to take a ton a pics... for 2 reasons... 1) so when we go to put it all back together we know where things were and what it should look like... no laughing! :) 2) it's the first really big father son project we have had and it would be cool to do a scrap book for later.

now I plan on having a little help but for the most part I am buying a book and my son and I are going to go step by step and try and do this in a weekend. We are going to take a ton a pics... for 2 reasons... 1) so when we go to put it all back together we know where things were and what it should look like... no laughing! :) 2) it's the first really big father son project we have had and it would be cool to do a scrap book for later.

Take twice as many pictures as you think you may need.....you'll find out why later.:blackeye:

I always do better buying all of it individually. Maybe not price wise, but buying like that allows me to get the brands I want where I want them. A lot of those whole kits have cheapo gaskets and timing chains. Some have cheapo everything. None have good everything. So I always piece them together myself.

I have to ask -what is "a rod keeps slipping" mean? Rods do not slip-they are attached to the crank shaft at one end and the piston at the other. If you have only a sticking valve I would fist do a very though tune-up starting with a good valve adjustment. What all has been done to the engine so far? PS you have a great father/son project going.

I seen that to slant/4speed, If there is a push rod bent or a rocker letting it dance around ( valve out of adjustment) or a bad lifter I could see where he would be hearing a noise like that.
Take close up pictures of the intake bolts/nut's and how the washers are on for sure if you do a rebuild.
I am thinking a valve adjustment and a complete tune up for a trial run, you can always use these parts after if you do a rebuild.

First I guess I should say i know little to nothing about this stuff... I may know some but to keep me out of trouble I claim complete and utter ignorance. I will never claim to know anything more that I am absolutly sure of.

With that said... My brother noticed alot of chatter comming from /6 it needed a valve cover gasket because it was leaking so he opened it up and notice a rod was not seated? something to to with a spring being slow. the rod was a little bent but because of a time constraint he straightened it out himself. We were going to move the car 15 miles so my son could at least have it at his B-day party to show his friends.

He made some adjustments, that had something to do with rotating the crank (pully) 120 degrees. He said that these I am guessing valves were better because you can dial them in. but they did require more work. He put it back together ran the car for a bit and then it happened again. He noticed smoke again and it was making more noise. He took it apart again and worked the spring with cleaner. and freed it up more. He told me to starting thinking about getting money to re build it because it was full of gunk. this is the original motor and it has never been gone through.
i was thinking Kit because i do not know enough to but it part by part, my brother could help but he is a chevy guy, he knows cars and can fix almost anything, but alot if different I guess.

Please, if I said soemthing wrong or named the part wrong this is a rough idea of me trying to recall what he told me. i am probably not saying it right but I am sure you can piece it together.

and my budget is limited... we are not making a drag car or even at this point a High proformance car. just somthing that runs really well. We are looking at some point maybe a different intake with a 4 brl carb and headers with a different exhaust set up. But this is going to be a slow on going deal. As my son drives it he will find what he likes and does not.

ok I talked to my brother last night and he corrected me, I do not need a complete rebuild but just to freasen it up. the list of stuff he told me I needed was:
rod and main bearings
gasket kit
I need at least one push rod so I will probably just get a set
springs

now this is what he said would be nice... but we do not have to have right now.
an up graded cam and lifters
and a timing gear set... the timing gear set being more important.

so I will get a few parts a week, and I think in about 2 weeks or so we will start working on it.

If you go to the trouble of bearings, you may as well replace the rings too. I would consider a new timing set manditory.

might be better to find a good low mileage /6 to throw back in it,
they turn up on here all the time.

OK, if I read that correctly you have a bent pushrod--- that happens--- you need a new pushrod replace it , then do a hot idle valve adjustment.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138010&highlight=#138010

follow SSix Dan's links-- read them.
before spending any$$ on new parts diagnose the parts you have.
that car will run like junk if the valve adjustment is off, do that first-- the idle should improve a bunch-- ,then start checking for timing/carb issues.

I swapped a 1965 version 225, in my car-- it had 2 bent pushrods-- replaced them all-- adjusted the valves & the car is still driven today-- the engine was supposed to be a 50-60 k engine.
don't give up-- this site is a great tool-- more info & great assistance . good luck with your new project--- read & spend wisely & you wil have fun, Lawrence

yes rings too... I forgot to put that on the list.

a lot of great info there thank you so much. Can anyone recomend a good book... that will break the engin down and give us good step by step info? for a 225? Thank you.

OK, if I read that correctly you have a bent pushrod--- that happens--- you need a new pushrod replace it , then do a hot idle valve adjustment.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138010&highlight=#138010

follow SSix Dan's links-- read them.
before spending any$$ on new parts diagnose the parts you have.
that car will run like junk if the valve adjustment is off, do that first-- the idle should improve a bunch-- ,then start checking for timing/carb issues.

I swapped a 1965 version 225, in my car-- it had 2 bent pushrods-- replaced them all-- adjusted the valves & the car is still driven today-- the engine was supposed to be a 50-60 k engine.
don't give up-- this site is a great tool-- more info & great assistance . good luck with your new project--- read & spend wisely & you wil have fun, Lawrence

alot of good info there... I am filing it all away for now and when we start I will take pics and post them!

-
Back