225 swap

-

sawdoff

Reaction score
My memory is lacking today but seem to remember there was a change in the 225s in 1976. I don't remember what it was. So my question is I have a running 76 dart I bought to swap the 225 into my 68d100. Was there anything that stops the swap. I was thinking I might swap the head , intake, etc if needed. Also the truck is manual and dart is automatic. Can you use a Dakota bushing (or another if different) to accomplish the swap?

I haven't messed with slants much. Everything else has a v8

I think the change in 76 was going from the drool tube head to the peanut plug. I'd use the Dak bushing.

I think the change in 76 was going from the drool tube head to the peanut plug. I'd use the Dak bushing.

for slants,,back in 1968, that was the first year for the larger register cranks, '67 and prior were the small register, so you should be ok on that,,
concerning using a slant from an automatic with a manual,,
I have heard that there were some slant cranks that were not drilled for the tranny pilot bushing. I know for a fact that there were cranks intended for automatic tranny applications that had the pilot bushing hole drilled to depth, but the diameter was not honed and is under-size. I know because I have one. I used the Dakota bushing in that one.

The head change was earlier than '76, that wouldn't affect the swap anyway until it was time to buy spark plugs, as my68 stated the hub should be the same if You have a '68.
The change in mid-late '76 was to a cast crankshaft, there will be an "E" next to 225 stamped on the deck pad if so, this shouldn't affect Your swap either though.

Thnx guys. The crank is what I couldn't remember. And I wasn't sure about the Dakota bushing. Now I just need to get off my butt n get the swap done. I miss my little d100

truck oil pan and pick up needs swapped! other than that pretty straght forward deal. i got a 80 d150 225 833od, just 4 months ago swapped in a /6 outta a early 70s dart only other difference one carb had 2 wires run to it and dart motor didnt, be sure to pull transmission with motor hole lot easier puttin them together on the floor than in the truck!!!!!!! alot!

-
Back