225 Transplant question

-

Cal Schreyer

Dumas
Reaction score
I'm somewhat of a newby to 225's! Will a 225 from a 1985 fit into a 1968 with little trouble? 1985 was in a manual, 1968 is a 904.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Dumas

I'm somewhat of a newby to 225's! Will a 225 from a 1985 fit into a 1968 with little trouble? 1985 was in a manual, 1968 is a 904.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Dumas

Short answer is YES.
There are a few things that will need to be addressed. The 85 engine should have hydraulic lifters (not an issue). Depending on what chassis the engines come from, you may have to change the motor mount brackets, the oil pan and pickup. The 85 engine would have been "lean burn", so you would be better off using a electronic distributer from a '70's slant six, and do a HEI conversion, or the point distributor from the 68. Depending on whether it is a one barrel or two barrel, you will need to make a change. You can use the intake and carb from the 68, or if the 85 is a two barrel, use an earlier carb that has a vacuum port for the distributor. Not sure but you might need to swap the exhaust manifold. Let us know what body style(s) you are working with.

The 81 - 87 engine is going into a 68 Valiant 2dr ...I realize the changes that may be necessary for the swap like the motor mouts etc, I was just trying to make sure that coming from a manual that there were not going to be some hidden issue going to a 904.
I have a chance to but the 81 - 87 motor that came out of a 68 Coronet, it's a long block that was purchased from Auto Zone and got about 1,000 miles before it was removed
Thanks for the info :cheese:

Oil pan and pick up may or may not need changing. Just match them up. Mounts will need changing. Everything else should go right in.

-
Back