226/6 problem

-

Grasshopper

Reaction score
I just started working on my 71 Scamp. My HOA wants to tow it away because it is not registered. I stoppped working on it 10 years ago after insatlling the head, timing chain, distributor, new wires, water and pump. The 225 / 6 still runs like crap. The motor spits out black smoke anf the air filter gets dirty fast.Not sure what is wrong. I just took off the intake and exhaust manifold and am hoping this was the problem. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks, I did rebuild the carb before I took the car off the road. It is a Carter 2bbl and pretty easy to install the kit. I really did not adjust the floats just put them back in the same way. I also had to turn the distributor all the way to advance to make it run.
If I installed the timing chain one link off would this be the case?

Thanks, I did rebuild the carb before I took the car off the road. It is a Carter 2bbl and pretty easy to install the kit. I really did not adjust the floats just put them back in the same way. I also had to turn the distributor all the way to advance to make it run.

if it is misfiring it will want to spit raw fuel out the exhaust. if it is not in time the engine will shake and misfire, and it may even want to backfire out of the carb

Carb may need to be rebuilt again; it is most likely in need of a good cleaning as well as fuel line, and tank if there was fuel left in the system for ten years.

Running rough, popping through carb, can be caused by two plug wires crossed to wrong plugs, check firing order, and wire placement.

Incorrectly adjusted float will cause rich condition, as well as choke not fully opening.

Poor accelerator pump shot will cause flat spot, and popping back through carburetor when under way.

Thanks, I have a carb rebuilding kit. Why are the different thicknesses to the base gaskets? which base gasket works best thinner or thicker?

-
Back