24 years and counting on Western Auto Starter

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
When I got out of the Air Force in 1993, I worked at Western Auto for 5 years while I went to school to get an MBA. While there I finished the first restoration of my 69 Fastback, and bought a WA Lifetime guarantee starter for the 340. It sits right beside (very close) to header tubes, and is still working after 24 years. I have had several rebuilt starters last only 3 years or so lately. Most recently the starter on my Jeep Grand Cherokee only lasted 14 months. And even if they give you another, what a royal pain putting it in! If the 340 starter ever dies, I'll probably get a mini starter.
FYI, the $15 1 year warranty alternator I got at WA at the same time as the starter is still working fine also.

10th grade auto shop electrical(1983...) you learned to use a " growler", to look for broken circuitry in the armature, turn or sand down armature / brush contact points.. Replace the nose end bushings, in the cone...It works correctly... Nowadays: the one year starters: replace whatever is physically wrongful, spin test it ..There's your 90 day warranty starter... The" lifetime warranty " reman actually did better, than the Chinese new stuff... Always was taught to rebuild, what came off the car.....

-
Back