-
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxy89

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey guys I stuck in winter brain storm mode. I live in the great white north and for the time being my 67 cuda is outside underneath a car cover till the weather gets a little warmers so Im stuck inside trying to figure stuff out.

The car was an originally a /6 car but when i bought it the /6 was gone and the kid i bought it off of got ride of it already or else i would of considered building a /6.

Ive narrowed my ideas down two three choices and was lookin for some input from you guys who have a lot more experience with these motors. My plans for the car is to be a cruiser that ill take to the strip on friday nights. Im hoping for like low 13s or so in the 1/4. What kind of hp torque area would i need to make to make an all steel 67 barracuda fast back go in the low 13s?

Ive cam up with 3 ideas for motors:

First is a build 273 my dads 66 cuda has a hi po 273 that he enjoys driving and is close to stock. The motor has been out for a few years gettin rebuilt so i was never able to drive the car besides when i backed it into the garage to pull the motor cause the cam what shot.

The next option is a 340. I really like the 340 six packs. I know they just came out with a new 340 six pac crate engine but I dont have 11k to blow on a motor alone.

The last option is a 408 crate motor from indy cylinder head. Ive loved these motors for a few years and they seem like a great bang for the buck.
http://www.indyheads.com/images/price6.pdf

Im looking to spend at most the 6k for the 408 crate motor. If i went that route id probably try and scope them out at carlise and the mopar nats and see what kind of show specials they are running.

Any advice you guys have ill greatly appreciate. I know some about old motors but what ive worked with for the most part so far is my neon 2.0 dohcs and 2.4 turbo dohcs. Thanks for all the help ive already gotten from this site even just through reading a lot of posts.

Depends on what you have available, what you can afford, and what you want.
BTW, why did you post this in the "mechanical parts for sale" forum?

woops must of clicked the back button one to many times. can one of the mods move this please.

My dad has and extra 273 in the garage but it has a 2bbl on it.
I might be able to hunt down a 340
and the 408 is straight forward. was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Im wondering what would be the best options to achieve a good street driver with good reliability that i can drive out to ohio 8 hr drive and achieve 13s in the 1/4

I have a 273 and a 414 stroker (which is the same as a 408, just bored .030 more than a 408). The 273 is good for cruising. Not a real powerhouse, even the "hi-po" ones. I think they were rated at 235 HP from the factory, and the 2 bbl ones were like 195 or so. The stroker has some stump-pulling torque, revs suprisingly fast, and is extremely fun. You can build one with more power for less money than the ones you posted at Indy. I love my stroker. I like cruising in my 273 Barracuda

Honestly 64physhy hit the nail on the head, each motor has inherent things that it excels at, and things that it doesn't do as well. How do you drive? what tickles your pickle more, playing with insane amounts of torque or a high strung stratosphere winding motor? 13's are fairly easy to achieve...even a buddy of mine's wrong wheel drive GTP ran that.

Well then maybe I should leave the long distance crusin to the 273 in my dads cuda and do a 408 for mine. I just want to drive the car places and not have the issues of having to trailer it to a place to then drive it. There are a few mopar guys near me I gotta talk to but dont see them to often so ill have to see what kinda 408 builds they can come up with.

Also forgot to mentions the car has a built 8 3/4 rear with 3.91 sure grips and super stock springs in the rear.

The 13s was just a ball park so the motor aint being pushed two hard. I wouldnt mind goin a little faster :) My bros srt-4 neon ill run high 13s and im lookin into buyin that off him as a daily once im out of school this summer. so maybe fast then 13s ill be on the table. I just dont want to have to put a cage and all that jazz in the car to be able to take it to the track and do a few passes with out gettin in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back