273 and 360 interchangeability?

-
Your 65 should have a 904 not a 727 unless it was changed, yes it will work with the 360. 273/318/340/360 are virtually identical from the outside and most stuff is interchangeable.
I have a 727. My Duster was originally a /6. I swapped out the complete driveline and rear end planning for a 340 or a 360 sometime. Also swapped torsion bars and upgraded breaks. Since 340's and 360' are hard to come by, and really expensive over here I have been making the best I could out of a 273 commando meanwhile.

I was informed that the 360 I'm looking at was hooked up to a manual trans. I read this on another forum concerning this: "Change the flywheel

Be sure to temporarily install the bell on the engine, and measure the depth of the crank hole as some automatic cranks are not fully drilled. A "fix" used to be to cut a little off the input shaft. If you use the late model Jeep type pilot bushing/ bearing, you don't have to deal with the hole which may be undersized, as the later model bearing fits into the torque converter register on the crank."

Is this correct?

I don't think that will an issue converting it to an automatic.

Well, the deal fell through on the longblock :( But a complete 360 was advertised for a way more reasonable price so I'm picking it up this weekend. Ran great when taken out of the car, everything is there except a carburator. The heads are the 3769974 casting and it has a LD340 intake and hydralic cam of some sort.

I will take it apart during the winter. Weird, 360's that I can afford never show up here, and now all of a sudden two did. I'm really excited. With this build I want to do a reliable, spirited, street engine, focusing on torque. I already have a 8 3/4 rear end with 3.73 gearing and a 10" 3000 stall converter. A good start! Can these heads meet my goal of a good street torque with the right cam? Compression would be on the lower side I suspect with these heads? Maybe something like the XE268H grind?

Torque will not be a problem. Used to build a lot of them when I was in the business. I usually installed an OEM TQ and manifold with a 340 cam and valve springs, but you should be good with your combo. Heads and cam sound good with your combo. You will probably miss the high winder though.

Torque will not be a problem. Used to build a lot of them when I was in the business. I usually installed an OEM TQ and manifold with a 340 cam and valve springs, but you should be good with your combo. Heads and cam sound good with your combo. You will probably miss the high winder though.

Thanks for the input. 273 I have runs really good. It revs to the sky, but being driven 95% of the time on the street I dont have much use of it. The good thing is I have a solid cam in the 273, so I have a complete valvetrain with adjustable rockers and Beehive springs, should I choose to go down that road. In the 273 I have the Magnum 270S grind. I could use all of that on the 360, but I think the XE268H would be a better choice.

-
Back