273 Block

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
I just picked up a '68 273 block from a member on here. I'm just not sure what to do with it. Should I save it to build an engine later? Make one of those engine block tables with the clear glass on top? Sell it on CL? Or give it to a friend who may possibly want it? I know there isn't much piston availability with these guys. Also, I've already got a 273 engine in my '68 Dart that may be coming out within the next year or two for something else.

Any ideas? What are the stock bore sizes for these guys? I just briefly looked it over and the bores look clean and smooth. If its useable, I may feel bad using one to make a table and may let someone else use it.

Stock bore is 3.625" for 4.5 liter.

I have a 273 in my '67 with Performer intake, Holley 650, 904 with a bit looser convertor, and 3.91's. Never was too impressed with it's performance, even with the 3.91's... until last summer. Turns out the secondaries were never fully opening. Well, when I got that taken care of, WOW! I wasn't ready for OOMPH it had! And I've owned several 340 and 360 cars.

If I wasn't on the opposite side of the country, I'd ask for it for my '64 Dart or daughter's '62 Valiant. I like smaller displacement v8's. Still have the smoothness and great sound, but a bit better economy. Matter of fact, most newer engines are designed around smaller bore sizing for better emissions.

A down side is that anything over stock 1.78" intake valves requires notching the bore. But my take on that is you can get better volumetric efficieny with the smaller volume intake runner and higher intake charge speed and momentum.

Of course, a glass topped table is a good idea until it's needed :) Will stay dry and protected in the house. LOL

Mike in FL

Mike in

You can drop it off at my house the next time u r in vegas :) I seem to be collecting them. ;-)

-
Back