273 Commando or Not?

-
I have been all around my 1965 Barracuda trying to determine if it's an original Formula S car, having the original fender tag would certainly help. Your car has the correct valve covers for a Commando engine, but the "30" on the build sheet does tell me it's a 273-2bbl. car. The painted stripes could be ordered seperately, but only on a Barracuda model. I was told that all the V-8 cars in 1965 had a "V" as the first digit of the VIN, but mine has a "1" which supposedly means a slant-six car. My car has the 4-bbl., the correct engine dress package, and the high-compression pistons, but no tach nor is one mentioned on the copy of the original invoice I got from Chrysler. It does have the correct rear-valance which is set up for the resonator exhaust. So who knows what Ma Mopar put on the early 1965 Formula S cars? All we know is what they were supposed to have. If I can help you out with anything else please let me know.

If its not a Formula S the two holes in the fenders maybe for the "Commando V8" emblem...If my mmemory serves me correct the two holes for the Formual S emblem are vertical not horizontal like yours. Have to check my car to be sure. Anyway below excerpt is from Car Life Magazie, June 1965.

The Formula S was a special option package available
starting in 1965 and was available through 1969, (although it lost it handling/sporting roots from 1967 on, just like the later Shelby Mustangs.) It consisted of the following optional equipment:

* Commando 273 4bbl V8 engine, 235 rated BHP

* Heavy duty rear springs (6 leaf, 115 lb spring rate)

*Heavy duty front torsion bars (0.87 inch dia)

* Front anti-sway bar

*"Firm Ride" shocks

* Heavy gauge 14 X 5.5 in wheels

* Special Goodyear "Blue Streak" tires, 6.95 X 14

* Simulated "Mag" style wheel covers

* Tachometer, 6000RPM

* Speedometer, 150 mph

* Special Formula S badges

* Low restriction single exhaust with
no muffler (just a rear mounted resonator!)

* Cars with automatics got higher
shift points

Suprisingly, the Formula S package did not include the
well known "racing stripes", or the "wood grain" steering
wheel. Both were additional options.

package.jpg

I have been all around my 1965 Barracuda trying to determine if it's an original Formula S car, having the original fender tag would certainly help. Your car has the correct valve covers for a Commando engine, but the "30" on the build sheet does tell me it's a 273-2bbl. car. The painted stripes could be ordered seperately, but only on a Barracuda model. I was told that all the V-8 cars in 1965 had a "V" as the first digit of the VIN, but mine has a "1" which supposedly means a slant-six car. My car has the 4-bbl., the correct engine dress package, and the high-compression pistons, but no tach nor is one mentioned on the copy of the original invoice I got from Chrysler. It does have the correct rear-valance which is set up for the resonator exhaust. So who knows what Ma Mopar put on the early 1965 Formula S cars? All we know is what they were supposed to have. If I can help you out with anything else please let me know.

Nice thing about the early Barracuda if your missing the fender tag. You can always contact Chrysler Historical services and purchase the punch card information. They will decode it for you and tell you exactly how your car left the factory and to what dealer it was sold. Is that what you received from Chrysler?

Link
http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=400

I don't know much about Barracudas but I don't think the mid 60's Mopars tell you on the VIN or fender tag whether the motor is a HP 273 or not. Please correct me if I am wrong. There are a lot of strange combo's Mopar did that don't make sense. I would pull a plug and peek down with the hole and see if you can see domed pistons. That's the only way to tell except to pull a head. If you have a Mechanic friend that has a boroscope he might jump at the chance to show it off and demo it to you. If I was close I could help you out there. The notched bumper filler panel is a sign of a HP motor along with the valve covers and 4 barrel intake. Looks like the dual point is gone but a aftermarket
dist. is a good sign. As posted before, I think you could order a HP engine in a regular Barracuda just like the Darts. I had a 65 270 model post car with a HP-273 and a three on the tree. Go figure! (I wish I still had it) LOL toolman

the stripe was an option for any Barracuda- and I confirm the Commando was available as a rallye pack car- no tach- no sway bar Commando 273 emblems on front fender- in any case- it is a sweet car

Was there a notch in the rear for the exhaust on commando cars or was that just for Darts ?

In '65, the Valiants and Barracudas had them too. In '66 they didn't because they didn't have a rear valance. In '65 they didn't have a 150MPH speedo.

If its not a Formula S the two holes in the fenders maybe for the "Commando V8" emblem...If my mmemory serves me correct the two holes for the Formual S emblem are vertical not horizontal like yours. Have to check my car to be sure. Anyway below excerpt is from Car Life Magazie, June 1965.

The Formula S was a special option package available
starting in 1965 and was available through 1969, (although it lost it handling/sporting roots from 1967 on, just like the later Shelby Mustangs.) It consisted of the following optional equipment:

* Commando 273 4bbl V8 engine, 235 rated BHP

* Heavy duty rear springs (6 leaf, 115 lb spring rate)

*Heavy duty front torsion bars (0.87 inch dia)

* Front anti-sway bar

*"Firm Ride" shocks

* Heavy gauge 14 X 5.5 in wheels

* Special Goodyear "Blue Streak" tires, 6.95 X 14

* Simulated "Mag" style wheel covers

* Tachometer, 6000RPM

* Speedometer, 150 mph

* Special Formula S badges

* Low restriction single exhaust with
no muffler (just a rear mounted resonator!)

* Cars with automatics got higher
shift points

Suprisingly, the Formula S package did not include the
well known "racing stripes", or the "wood grain" steering
wheel. Both were additional options.

package.jpg
I have a copy of Car Life June, 1965 and looked several times throughout the article for * Low restriction single exhaust with
no muffler (just a rear mounted resonator!) and can't find any wording close to this. The article does say "What must be the loudest muffler system on any production car produces a rumbling reminiscent of a runabout and a Rice Krispies overrun: Snap, Crackle and Pop.
The article does say the 235 horsepower 273 muffler type is "straight through" and the 180 horsepower 273 is "reverse flow". But nowhere does the article say "no muffler".

In the above picture, you can see the muffler attached to the exhaust pipe. And the muffler inlet and outlet pipes are in straight alignment with each other. Straight in with no baffling and straight out the end. Thus the very loud sound of the early HP engines.

Later in 65 and for subsequent 273 HP's, Chrysler modified the muffler to an offset inlet pipe with minimal baffling to significantly quieten the sound.

Welcome to FABO leonard. Check your fender tag. Plate is located under your hood on drivers side inner fenderwell close to radiator support. Will have stamped alphabet (A thru Z ) on third line. If you have a 31 stamped under the AB it is commando engine. 30 under AB would be a 273 2bbl. engine. Also if car is a formula s it will have a tach on dash(left of steering wheel), formula s badges on front quarter panels, front sway bar and 14" wheels and front disk brakes.

Oldschoolcuda
And for it to be a Formula S there will be the number 2 under the letter C, that's what my car has.l

-
Back