273 exhaust manifolds

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m looking to get all the gas mileage I can out of my 67- 273 2bbl engine, without installing headers. Would the 67-273 4bbl exhaust manifolds flow any better? Can I pick up a mile a gallon? Is it a worthwhile swap? Thanks for any input.

All 273 manifolds are the same.Changing to a 4bbl will increase your mileage.Better fuel distribution & small primaries.Every 2bbl motor I've ever converted got better mpg with the 4 bbl.Not to mention the power gain.Win win situation.

So the 4bbl and 2bbl castings are the same, okay, no gains there. I have heard of some cars actually doing better (gas mileage) with a four barrel. I`m torn between keeping the car as stock as possible and making modifications just for gas mileage ,as I want to drive this car a lot.

with a 4 bbl you dirve on your primaries which are smaller and more effeicent and when you romp on it you open the secondaries with a 2bbl you are always running on your secondaries so to say.. i could be a little bit wrong but you get the hint..

and with a 4bbl hidden under a air cleaner whos to know, plus like cuda said.. more HP so you win win win..
fuel effeincy
power.

thats your best bet.

If you havent already done this - consider doing the following: electronic ignition (consistantly more spark energy), run as much advance as you can without detonation, run a clutch fan, (a little less drag on the motor), install a highway 276 gear or taller rear tires, (that'll slow the motor down at speed). Install a spreadbore 4 bbl, like a TQ or quadrajunk, these really have small primaries vs a holley or afb. The other thing I have found is the 340 stock cam really does nicely in terms of getting pretty good mileage with a balance of performance in the daily driven small block. You just need to determine where the balance is, you dont want to ruin parts by running too lean or too much advance.

-
Back