273 into a 62 Lancer?

-

NewLancerMan

Newbophile
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have come across a 273 commando motor, and wanted to know how feasible it would be to replace my slant six with this engine. A few things I'm concerned about (and please enlighten me to the many others!):

1--pushbutton auto trans--will I be able to use the 904 pushbutton trans with the 273?

2--Fit? Can I squeeze this sucker in there? What issues with the K member, drag link, etc will I be facing?

3--Other? Can you point me to a good resource on engine swapping?

Thanks guys!

MJ

Basically A Bolt In With Early A-body Exhaust Manifolds--you Need A Dropped Draglink To Clear The Oil Pan-(early V-8 A-body 64 Thru 66)-motor Mounts Are Real Close--enough To Work. You Will Need A Pushbutton 904 Off An Early 273 For A Bolt In. The Slant Trans Has A Different Bell Housing. Maybe A Little Clearance Problem With The Heater Box--cut And Glue. Need Gas Pedal Out Of A Later A-body--66 Thru 69. Thats It For The Most Part. I Have Done Several Of Them Years Ago. Pretty Easy Swap

Actually you can use a V8 gas pedal assembly out of '64-'65 Dart,Valiant,barracuda as well. That is what I would use If I were you. Because It is set up to work in an Early A-body.

1--Yes. The issue is the transmission linkage. I don't know if the critical parts are bolted to the transmission case or are cast into the housing. I'll need a tranny expert to confirm. The front housing (where the torque converter runs bolts onto the gearbox housing. If this is true, then all you need is a front case with the LA bolt pattern. The only thing that may be different internally on the 904 would be the first gear ratio. Depending on what you do as far as throttle linkage is concerned, you also need to address the kickdown linkage.

2--In addition to the points already mentioned, you will probably have problems running dual exhausts. Prior to 1967, the torsion bar crossmember was indented only on the driver's side. You could duplicate the 273HP exhaust or run unequal length pipes that pass through the indentation. Going under the crossmember on the passenger side is going to leave that pipe extremely susceptible to being crushed.

3--Chrysler Engine Swapping Tips and Techniques published by Hot Rod magazine. I don't know if it's still in print meaning you'll have to go to Amazon or eBay to find it.

dual exhaust is not a problem on an early A,, all you need to do is cut a smal amount out of the cross member,,then make a piece to fit back in that will allow the pipe to pass under with out ground clearance problems,,piece of cake if you have a wizzer cutting tool or a sawzall and a welder,,,V8 lancer would be wild...seen a 340 in one once very kool

I looked at a 62 Valiant with a 408 in Salt Lake City a while back. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it. He had used the same pieces mentioned above. Dropped steering linkage from a 64 Barracuda, 904 pushbutton tranny from a 64 Barracuda, Gas pedal and cable assy. from same Barracuda, radiator from same... basically a bolt in. He used Spitfire headers and they cleared OK. His biggest issue was the heater box. That was the worst issue with the whole car. It looked like he had done the job drunk and in the dark. He had basicall just pushed the thing back and stuck it in place with straps and silicone. I think it could be modified to fit cleanly. He went with stiffer front torsion bars and had done the later model front disk brake conversion. 8-3/4 with Jeep disks on the back. Dual 2-1/2 exhaust with crossmember cutout previously mentioned. It was a nice car that drove well and MOVED with the 408 in it. One of those deals I'll always regret. Do the swap and keep us appraised with photos!

-
Back