273 Rocker Arms

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I've been reading on here about guy's using 273 rocker arms. Are they a good choice for a budget rocker arm? Would they be a good choice since they are 50+ year's old? I can understand it if you already have them. But if a person doesn't have them what would be the next best choice for a rocker arm? I've done a little research on stock mopar rocker arms and their ratio is all over the place from what I've been reading.

Watching this one I trust old American iron unless I see a bunch of folks having good luck with a brand of budget no ones

Been running them on all kinds of street engines, stone axe reliable. What cam and spring pressures will you run? How high a red line? You can have them blueprinted and bushed. No roller tip to come loose. There is a lot of theoretical BS out there. Don't buy what you don't need.

I've been running the ductile iron rocker arms on my bracket motors for over 20 years with out any failures. I've run them on flat tappet cams & roller cams without any problems also.

I am running stock sealed Powered rocker arms SLP-861 & 862 along with stock valve springs 901-16 with a mopar .509 purple cam in my 340 and have had no issues...

Change the adjusters to a lock nut style and get rid of the interference fit originals and they are very good. The last picture the end rocker is a crane sitting next to an original that has been fitted for lock nuts . I have several sets I changed over to sell to people getting engines done here to lower their cost on rockers. Never had any fail on engines that leave here.

100_0157.JPG

100_0160.JPG

100_0173.JPG

100_0171.JPG

Used 273 rockers with shafts now run about $250 $350 for a set.
I would trust them without a doubt. Hard to find but still out there.

Change the adjusters to a lock nut style and get rid of the interference fit originals and they are very good. The last picture the end rocker is a crane sitting next to an original that has been fitted for lock nuts . I have several sets I changed over to sell to people getting engines done here to lower their cost on rockers. Never had any fail on engines that leave here.

I don't even change the threaded adjusters. Originals work fine. 400,000 on stock Commando engine. Adjust every 100,000 miles or so after initial 1,000 mile break in.

I've been reading on here about guy's using 273 rocker arms. Are they a good choice for a budget rocker arm? Would they be a good choice since they are 50+ year's old? I can understand it if you already have them. But if a person doesn't have them what would be the next best choice for a rocker arm? I've done a little research on stock mopar rocker arms and their ratio is all over the place from what I've been reading.

Think about this. When the W2 heads were released they used ductil iron rockers, not unlike the 273 rocker. Both are pretty much indestructible barring severe abuse.

Best factory rocker arms made on any brand during the muscle car era imo...including the Hemi. :)

I believe the early SBF's were cast also? Probably a close 2nd

-
Back