273 rockers arm lock kit

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a company and part number for the kit to upgrade my 273 adjustable rockers to locking type? I ordered a set on ebay and the threads od the screws are not correct even though in the description it listed 273-440.

Just get locknuts. That's my plan, I bought some from a member here. I have the factory adjusters, will give the rockers a flat spot with a file for locknuts to tighten on evenly.
Crane(bought out by Comp Cams) used to make them, there seems to be limited mfg of these for some reason.
PRW makes them, but not for factory adjustables.
Can anyone recommend a company and part number for the kit to upgrade my 273 adjustable rockers to locking type? I ordered a set on ebay and the threads od the screws are not correct even though in the description it listed 273-440.

Just get locknuts. That's my plan, I bought some from a member here. I have the factory adjusters, will give the rockers a flat spot with a file for locknuts to tighten on evenly.
Crane(bought out by Comp Cams) used to make them, there seems to be limited mfg of these for some reason.
PRW makes them, but not for factory adjustables.
What is the thread size for factory style rockers?

The PRW above don't work with factory ball and cup push rods and the nuts are to tall for the factory adjusters. As Rusty said just get yourself 16 3/8 24 shallow jam nuts and square the top of the rocker

If the top of the factory rockers don’t get spotfaced square to the threaded hole, you may find the adjusters loosen up often....... and/or break the adjusters off above the rocker.

If the top of the factory rockers don’t get spotfaced square to the threaded hole, you may find the adjusters loosen up often....... and/or break the adjusters off above the rocker.
Yup. Every bit of this has been outlined ad nauseam here. A simple search would have turned it all up.

The PRW above don't work with factory ball and cup push rods and the nuts are to tall for the factory adjusters. As Rusty said just get yourself 16 3/8 24 shallow jam nuts and square the top of the rocker
That's true, but there's almost no other options if you want new nuts and adjusters. Also, it's arguable ball and ball pushrods are a little stronger.

Smith Brothers sells the “normal” ball style adjusters.

PRW lists a ball style adjuster kit, but it doesn’t say what size the threads are.
Number 1203188........ might worth a call to find out.

Last edited:
Smith Brothers sells the “normal” ball style adjusters.

PRW lists a ball style adjuster kit, but it doesn’t say what size the threads are.
Number 1203188........ might worth a call to find out.
The PRW kit is the one I got. Thread size is not correct. I will check out Smith Brothers. Even the lock nuts I have found so far are not what I would like. I have only found them with 9/16 head and I would like 7/16 if possible.

Email from PRW when I enquired for oem style...

PRW Mopar ball end and cup end adjusters are 7/16”-20 designed for PRW Rocker Arms with 5/16” ball or cup end pushrods. If you are looking for 3/8”-24 Mopar OEM Ball-Style Adjuster Screws, PRW does not have those to fit your application.

We do have strong lightweight Valve Lash Lock Nuts in 3/8”-24 (PRW PN: 1004502). These are available for your application and others that use 3/8”-24 adjusters. All PRW fasteners are SCM-4135 or 4140 alloy steel that are higher tensile strength than Grade 8.
The PRW kit is the one I got. Thread size is not correct. I will check out Smith Brothers. Even the lock nuts I have found so far are not what I would like. I have only found them with 9/16 head and I would like 7/16 if possible.

Crane used to make a set, we used to tap out the rocker threads and spot face them flat and install them. But I don't know the part number offhand

Good info on the PRW adjusters.

Crane is gone, so if you find something it will be NOS.
The part number is 99802-16.

There might some on a shelf somewhere.

Good info on the PRW adjusters.

Crane is gone, so if you find something it will be NOS.
The part number is 99802-16.

There might some on a shelf somewhere.
There was actually a set on ebay that sold before I saw your response. Literally minutes after you posted the part number.....

I bought a set from Mancini Racing for way to much money. Got them in and they do not fit I don't think. I know they should not screw in easily but I broke an allen wrench trying to get one in. I did buy some lock nuts as well that I'm going to try and return what I bought from Mancini. I am going to try and remove the lose adjusting screws and install just the nuts I have. I only have a couple that I would call loose. Hoping to get it wrapped up for the cam break in Friday since its an off day from work.

We would always run a tap through the rocker arms before installing the new adjusters

I ran a tap thru one 273 rocker as a test. I could literally almost done it by hand. Once I did that the adjuster screw was now somewhat loose in factory rocker. It was very snug previous to the tap.

From Bill at PRW

"Hello Steve,
PRW Mopar ball end and cup end adjusters are 7/16”-20 designed for PRW Rocker Arms with 5/16” ball or cup end pushrods. If you are looking for 3/8”-24 Mopar OEM Ball-Style Adjuster Screws, PRW does not have those to fit your application.
We do have strong lightweight Valve Lash Lock Nuts in 3/8”-24 (PRW PN: 1004502). These are available for your application and others that use 3/8”-24 adjusters. All PRW fasteners are SCM-4135 or 4140 alloy steel that are higher tensile strength than Grade 8.
I checked a few online resources and the parts you are looking for are not readily available from standard sources."

Or spend the money and send them to Rocker Arms Unlimited. Get em bushed and have the works done. Going back I think I woulda had Gary match them all to a true 1.5 ratio. He said that’s not needed if I’m not a serious racer like a lot of you guys on here though.

From Bill at PRW

"Hello Steve,
I checked a few online resources and the parts you are looking for are not readily available from standard sources."
Ok.

Or spend the money and send them to Rocker Arms Unlimited. Get em bushed and have the works done. Going back I think I woulda had Gary match them all to a true 1.5 ratio. He said that’s not needed if I’m not a serious racer like a lot of you guys on here though.
He can even move the rocker shaft bore and change them to 1.6.

From Bill at PRW

"Hello Steve,
Here they are, right on the PRW site.
ADJUSTER SCREW KIT, VALVE LASH, 3/8"-24 x 32.20mm, Top Oiler, Cup End, Set of 16

THESE are what old Bill is talkin about.
9539008 FORD 390-428 FE Adjuster Screw Kit, Valve Lash, Set of 16

Those are for ball and cup. What I am showing you is for a ball and ball pushrod. They will bolt right in. 75 bucks, plus however much off the shelf ball and ball pushrods cost. Cheap. I don't know what all the fear is about.

-
Back