273 turning over slow

-

sleddin650

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda Formula S with a 273 4bbl. I just got the car and it's in good shape, but needs alot of work. Anyway, when I tried to turn the motor over by hand I could not do it. I then proceeded to take all the plugs out and get the starter to try for me. By removing the plugs the motor turned over but very slow. The battery I am using is actually more cranking amps then what that engine needs and it's a good battery not old or half dead. What would cause the motor to turn so slow when there is no compression since I pulled the plugs out? There was no unevenness to the motor so I don't think one of the mains are messed up. I have no idea how long this motor has been sitting, but could a starter just be weak?

First of all, WELCOME!!!!! Secondly, yes, I end up with weak mopar starters all the time. I have 2 that are in my garage that are still good but weak. Very common. May we see some pictures of your car?? Where did you find it?? I just love hearing how someone has saved a ' 65 barracuda. Or any mopar for that matter. But as you can see ' 65 barracuda's are my favorite. And I've only owned one formulas and it was a '66. But I have owned 2 commando ' 65's. Lets see it.

I just changed out motors in my sons car last week
the old worn out motor turned over okay but this new motor wouldn't hardly budge, I thought I did somthing wrong, finally put a new starter in it
works like a champ

I've heard the Dakota/Durango V6 reduction drive starters (manufactured by Mitsubishi) just bolt in, no wiring issues, and spin the motor over faster. Haven' tried one yet, but would like to. 65barracudadude, have you tried this?

-
Back