273 V8 to Slant 6 Swap: 1965 Dart

-

Coolvibes

Reaction score
What parts would I need if I wanted to replace my 1965 273 V8 engine with a 1975 slant 6 engine? The slanty has an auto behind it, while the 273 has a 3 speed on the tree, which I would like to retain. I think it's an A-745 gearbox.

Would the Slanty bell housing bolt to the A-745 gear box? If yes, would I be able to retain the V8 Z-bar linkage if a slanty bell housing was sourced?

Hot rodders do crazy things, so don't ask why yet. lol. Not worried about the gear ratios at this point either. Thanks much.

Slant 6 Z bars are a tad longer than the V8s. You'll need the early slant bell and flywheel (and thowout arm, I assume), and a set of early slant 6 motor mount brackets (the K frame is the same). You'll need a radiator too, as the slant has the bottom hose on the opposite side of the tank. Your accelerator cable should hook up to the late slant. Whoops- scratch that, you'll need a longer cable from a later slant. But your pedal linkage should work.
If the slant is from a truck, you'll need a pass car pan, pickup and dipstick/tube.

-
Back