274/474 for stock 340

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
would the mp 274/474 cam work in 72 duster with stock stall and 323s without having to change stall speed? wifes car, has the 701 voodoo and idles too smooth for her liking! not concerned about max hp, just want drivability with a bit of lope, hopefully someone has run this combo and can give me a real answer,thanks

The 3.23's are what is killing you. The cam you have is going to be hard to improve on without buying a custom cam. And if performance isn't the goal...you can either stay with cam you have, or go a bit bigger to get that drive through idle you want, but it will definitely kill the bottom.

Your trying to keep the cake and eat it too. Tough sailing.

wifes car, she doesnt care about bottom end! yes the 701 is nice, but not what she wants. happy wife,happy life!

Hughes whiplash cam. Made for low compression and a choppy idle. I cant say about performance but sounds like what she wants.

And if you just want the sound (rough idle), throw in the old MP 284/.484 and advance it 4*. Get your rough idle and won't completely destroy bottom end.

ive got the 284/484 in my demon, i was thinking going a tad milder so i wouldnt have to change her torque converter

Isky 280mega oval track cam. 232 at 050 and a 106lsa which will make it a bit choppier. The 701 is really small from a duration standpoint, barely above a factory 340 cam. Something cut on a narrower LSA will make the same cam idle a bit choppier due to overlap.

The 284 is a bit heavy for something were a crackling idle is the only real desired result.

Going to likely require bumping up initial timing with the cam change, so don't forget to alter the distributor/advance.

Last edited:
Isky 280mega oval track cam. 232 at 050 and a 106lsa which will make it a bit choppier. The 701 is really small from a duration standpoint, barely above a factory 340 cam. Something cut on a narrower LSA will make the same cam idle a bit choppier due to overlap.

The 284 is a bit heavy for something were a crackling idle is the only real desired result.

Going to likely require bumping up initial timing with the cam change, so don't forget to alter the distributor/advance.

All those Isky Mega cams are very underrated. You can't go wrong with one of those.

There is a video of a whiplash in a 69 Baracuda I think on YouTube I think he is a member here ?
Very impressive !!!

a little concerned about piston to valve clearance on the whiplash, talked to a rep and he said there''usually'' isnt a problem!isky 280 would require a torque converter change wouldnt it?

If you want a choppy idle get a cam in the lower 220ish range cut on a 104. I doubt you'll find a shelf cam that meets that criteria.

Going larger on duration will cause issues with low speed power output because the range goes up. Ignition timing and tune cna and will help a lot. Another trick is to advance the cam a bunch to gain back some grunt. Not the best way to do it but that's what I do with 284/292 cams in lower compression engines.

Unfortunately, you appear to want your cake and eat it too... Everything is a compromise.

a little concerned about piston to valve clearance on the whiplash, talked to a rep and he said there''usually'' isnt a problem!isky 280 would require a torque converter change wouldnt it?

The car which is my Avatar had the Purple 280 grind. Motor was a stock 72 340 otherwise including intake, carb, and exhaust. Stock Converter also. I drove the wheels off it with 3:23's for a good year and it did not need a Converter. In fact, it started well in the cold and the idle was not bothersome at all. It only made me want something really radical lol...

True story and actual driver use.... It was no pig with gears in it but I guess you had to be around the car back them to believe it lol...

I will say however nothing beats a cam degree check and PtoV while you are at it....

If you want something nasty sounding in a Small Inch Mopar, stick a big Solid in it. She will hate you but boy will she get attention with it lol....

Good luck,
JW

.474/280 MP cam. had it in my 340 with 2800 rpm stall and every thing from a 3.23-4.56. A nice clean choppy idle.

-
Back