2bbl Carter on stock manifold

-
OK, here's the long version of my dilemma.
I picked up a Valiant /6 with Offy manifold and Holly 4bbl.
It ran well, (except a little rough at idle) but I wanted better economy, so I sold the Offy and Holly to replace with stock.
With the stock 1920, the car stamers and stalls from a stop.
Can I fix this problem with out adding more carb?

That's a tell-tale sign of a good-size vacuum leak, almost irreplaceably from the throttle shaft bores being worn. Either get a remanufactured 1920 or upgrade to a Super Six. You should've kept that Offy manifold, but put the smallest size Holley you can buy (I think 390 cfm) or something like an Edelbrock 500 cfm (a little big but only flows as much as the engine needs). If you really want to open up your slant I'd recommend "Dutra Duals" to keep your choke and carb heat or headers if you live in a warm climate. Add a good 2 1/4" dual exhaust with H-pipe and that thing would go.

First off, don't assume that just ANY carb will be better than the one you're currently having trouble with.

An average remanufactured carb will most likely give you nothing but trouble. These days, they are almost always junk, "rebuilt" by people who know little or nothing about carbs and/or could care less what they're doing. This applies to several OTHER rebuilt parts as well, but carburetors in particular have an especially bad track record these days. I know this from experience.

My advice is to either find a local REPUTABLE carb rebuilder (so that you can deal with them directly if you have problems), or contact SlantSixDan over on slantsix.org for a NEW carb. Last time I checked he had several NOS carbs for sale.

-
Back