2nd gear launch

-
I lost only two tenths disabling the secondaries on a small block 6.30s car. Barry Grant gold claw, with blue inserts.
This lines up with my experience, 2 tenths in the 1/8 is about 4 tenths in the 1/4.

How much HP does it take to go from 15s to 14s..........My answer...not much more.
How much HP does it take to go from a 10.3 to a 10.00............Many time over from the example above!

I to have tried to slow my car down and was amazed at how hard it was.
With my example above, it takes reducing A LOT of HP to slow a 10.00 car to 10.3
Just as it did to make a 10.3 car run a 10 flat.

We all thing it is going to be so easy to slow it down because it was so hard to get there........:D

Wallace says it takes almost 60 more hp to get a 3500lb car from 10.3 to 10.0, 633 to 691. I believe it.
But combination improvement can help a lot, without making even one more horsepower. Rear gear, and converter,can pick a car up a half second without touching the motor. Too bad its too labor intensive to use temporarily in slowing a car down!.

Its amazing that you wouldn't lose more time disabling the secondaries

Cause your basically getting the same amount of fuel and air just more restricted so your penalized with a greater pumping hp loss. it doesn't cut your cfm in half it will mostly pull the same cfm through the carb just at a higher vacuum "restriction" level.

I don't remember the details, but a two barrel is more sensitive and harder to dial. Something about air flow. Stock Eliminator guys I hung out with years ago talked about this. I knew a guy who ran a 65 Belvedere wagon with a 273 2 bbl in U/SA and it would not always do what was expected. Maybe someone else will see this who knows more details.

I don't remember the details, but a two barrel is more sensitive and harder to dial. Something about air flow. Stock Eliminator guys I hung out with years ago talked about this. I knew a guy who ran a 65 Belvedere wagon with a 273 2 bbl in U/SA and it would not always do what was expected. Maybe someone else will see this who knows more details.

Probably something to do with air speed, same amount of air going through a smaller opening.

-
Back