2wd vs 4wd o.d transmissions

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
What is the biggest difference? Could the 4wd version be modded to work in a 2wd rear drive configuration? Talking about 518 or 46rh type transmissions,mopar of course.

I haven't tried it but I talked to a guy that said all you have to do is unbolt the 4wd section from the rear and bolt on the std. o.d. unit or vice versa to convert a 2wd to a 4wd. We didn't discuss the valve bodies but the 4wd VB might be calibrated different so you may also need to swap to a 2wd VB.

Tailshaft/OD unit. THe 4WD tranny is made to mate up to the transfer case where the 2WD model has the long tailshaft. They are interchangeable though.

So is the real difference just tailshaft length or is it designed to be physically impossible to work as a 2wd trans?

So is the real difference just tailshaft length or is it designed to be physically impossible to work as a 2wd trans?

The main case (front section) is the same on both. The rear section on a 2wd is just an o.d. unit. The rear section on a 4wd unit is the o.d. unit and transfer case. Therefore you can convert either to the other by changing out the rear section.

Thx,fishy and hearold! I might have found a 2wd truck trans for cheap,just waiting on a reply. Some folks want crazy prices for these trans..

Thx,fishy and hearold! I might have found a 2wd truck trans for cheap,just waiting on a reply. Some folks want crazy prices for these trans..

Your welcome. Yeah they do bring a hefty price. Not as bad as they used to be though. 10 yrs. ago they were bringing $750-1000 for a working used one.

See now I know the bastard was trying to burn me. Had an auto wrecker in penticton ask $1800. What a dolt..

What would be a fair price for the one in the 2wd p/u? It's supposed to be in good working order. I think the truck yr is 94.

They are asking $1000 for the whole truck but no way no how do I have that.

Not sure about what they sell for in Canada but around here they go for $300~500 (depending on the mileage) in good working condition. Rebuildable ones sell for $150-250.

..............Check Calgary kijiji...............usually pretty cheap there.............kim......I do have 90 non lu trans.......

-
Back