3.23 vs 4.10 Changes

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I was wanting to see what y'alls experiences was with going from a gear like a 3.23 to a 4.10.

My truck has a magnum 318 with a cam and a 600 holley and a OD 4speed. It actually gets good MPG idk exactly what its getting but it will go alot farther than my durango does on the same amount of fuel so I know I am getting atleast 14 city and 16 hwy. Most of my driving is in town stop and go or 35 mph max unless I drive to my friends house which is 12 miles away running 55-60 how much do you guys thing the 4.10's are going to hurt me?

Swapping to a 4.10 Gear will increase your overall RPM's but with the OD you will actually get better Mileage from where in the RPM band you will be running...4.10 gears will help with the in-town stop and go traffic and the OD will turn the 4.10 gears into 2.89 gears.....which is really good for Highway driving.... So you would get the best of both worlds.....
3.23 with OD = 2.22
4.10 with OD = 2.89

also tire size will play into the equation....But regardless with a OD, I think you'll be a lot happier with the 4.10's

A/T tires? regardless, 4.10 is what would make the truck more enjoyable/easier on the wallet.....As long as you stay out of it...lol....with 3.23 and OD..it will lug on the motor abit and not be in a good RPM band for the majority of driving...

Where do you have the timing set?

For what your doing James, the 4.10's will be better. The 3.23's work awesome on the hwy

I would like to get hold of an A518RH 2WD tranny to drop into my Valiant.....:)

I would like to get hold of an A518RH 2WD tranny to drop into my Valiant.....:)

Installing the factory OD Auto transmissions in a A-body requires chop/cut/weld fabrication to the tunnel in order for fitment.

Installing the factory OD Auto transmissions in a A-body requires chop/cut/weld fabrication to the tunnel in order for fitment.

Yeah, I gathered it would.....I have a later, larger tunnel to fit in.
I have already done that to the other car to fit a BW E49 spec 4sp manual.

-
Back