3.27 or 3.55 ratio Ford 8.8 LSD axle

-

Cowet

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Has anyone came across any Ford explorer 8.8 axles with a gear ratio of 3.27 or 3.55 that also has an LSD? I've been searching intensely and can only find ones in a high gear ratio of 3.73 or 4.10

The link below seems to indicate these do exist. I suppose the only other option would be to swap it out with an aftermarket ring and pinion set.
I'd like a 8 3/4 but they're extremely expensive.

Ford 7.5 & 8.8 Inch Axle Tag & Door Codes – The Ranger Station

Hello everyone,
Has anyone came across any Ford explorer 8.8 axles with a gear ratio of 3.27 or 3.55 that also has an LSD? I've been searching intensely and can only find ones in a high gear ratio of 3.73 or 4.10

The link below seems to indicate these do exist. I suppose the only other option would be to swap it out with an aftermarket ring and pinion set.
I'd like a 8 3/4 but they're extremely expensive.

Ford 7.5 & 8.8 Inch Axle Tag & Door Codes – The Ranger Station
Iv never seen one higher than 3.73. I have an open and lsd both are 3.73 gears I know they make a higher gear in the 8.8 but IIRC they where in mustang's and rangers. You may be able to find a lsd carrier with higher gears out of a mustang.

Iv never seen one higher than 3.73. I have an open and lsd both are 3.73 gears I know they make a higher gear in the 8.8 but IIRC they where in mustang's and rangers. You may be able to find a lsd carrier with higher gears out of a mustang.

Problem is that the mustang axles are usually 28 spline which is weaker compared to the 31 spline in explorers.

Problem is that the mustang axles are usually 28 spline which is weaker compared to the 31 spline in explorers.
You could just buy a ring and pinion in the gear you want and put it on the 31 spline carrier.

I just put a 3L55 8.8 from a mazda light truck (basically the ranger, so the 28 spline axles) under my car. I think i saw an open 3.55 rear under an explorer sport trac truck as well as 4.10s, but most of the explorer lockers had 3.73.

I just put a 3L55 8.8 from a mazda light truck (basically the ranger, so the 28 spline axles) under my car. I think i saw an open 3.55 rear under an explorer sport trac truck as well as 4.10s, but most of the explorer lockers had 3.73.
Cool I didnt know Mazda put 8.8 in their trucks thats pretty cool. Did you have to cut it or is it stock width?

Cool I didnt know Mazda put 8.8 in their trucks thats pretty cool. Did you have to cut it or is it stock width?
Didn’t know it either until i crawled from underneath the ranger and saw it was a mazda vehicle haha. It’s an inch narrower than the explorer rear, and about an inch wider than the 8 3/4. I didn’t narrow it at all. Fit great.

Didn’t know it either until i crawled from underneath the ranger and saw it was a mazda vehicle haha. It’s an inch narrower than the explorer rear, and about an inch wider than the 8 3/4. I didn’t narrow it at all. Fit great.
That's awesome! Great job.

That's awesome! Great job.
Yeah it is tempting to go after a Ford ranger 8.8 due to the ease of the swap. I'm going to see if they can be found in other gear ratios. On another note, it looks like the 05-13 mustangs have 8.8 31 spline axles. It looks like the axle width (wms) to wms is about 66in though I can't find anything on the pinion offset distance.

Yeah it is tempting to go after a Ford ranger 8.8 due to the ease of the swap. I'm going to see if they can be found in other gear ratios. On another note, it looks like the 05-13 mustangs have 8.8 31 spline axles. It looks like the axle width (wms) to wms is about 66in though I can't find anything on the pinion offset distance.
What engine and how much power are you planning to have?

check out the ranger forum. There’s a lot of info there about the 8.8: dimensioNs, years and whatnot. I’m sure they have info about pinion offsets. Also, if you’re planning on going with modern high offset wheels it might be better to go for the greater width of the explorer or even the mustang rears.

Last edited:
All explorers have either open 3.55 or 3.73, or limited slip 3.73 or 4.10. What I did was pull 3.27 gears out of a Mustang with 28 spline 8.8 and use them in the Explorer rear end. The ring and pinions will interchange with either axles.

-
Back