3.5 inch collector to 3 inch exhaust

-

345man2

Reaction score
:Dok switching from tti step headers to 1 7/8 race header, motor made 583 hp with the steps , has anyone tested or dynoed the race headers with 3 inch x pipe and muffler against 3.5 x pipe and muffler to see which is the best or anything similar?

I'm curious too, I'm switching to 2 inch headers and to 3.5 inch x-pipe exhaust from 1 7/8 headers and 3 inch x-pipe exhaust in a 396 amc and 650hp. Next spring when the track opens well know.

Going with Dr. Gas spin tech mufflers and x-pipe.

www.drgas.com

awesome lookin amc , maybe some guys onn here have tried with 3 andf 3,5 exhaust, not a lot of people run and test them, we may be the only guinea pigs lol:D

I remember reading an article that was testing a SB stroker motor. It made fairly significant more power with the headers that had 3.5" collectors over the 3" collectors. I don't recall the numbers but it seems like Shady Dell maybe did the testing and write-up on it.

I am getting more and more excited about those headers, wonder if anyone has done any testing with 3 and 3.5 exhaust after the collector?:D

I am getting more and more excited about those headers, wonder if anyone has done any testing with 3 and 3.5 exhaust after the collector?:D

no testing but i think you might have a slight gain in power from using the bigger exhaust but i doubt it would be worth it considering how much heavier the tubing gets.and how much harder it gets to quiet the car down. in my opinion about 18" of 3½" as collectorextensions and then a nice smooth reduction down into 3" would probably be the best of both worlds.

yep that's what I am goin to to, talked with mike at mrl today and he confirmed my thinking about keeping heat in exhaust and velocity, and to reduce scavaging in the exhauast so ill prob go with those reducers an x pipe and a set of mac flowpaths, cant wait:blob:

-
Back