3.6L Pentastar Twin turbo?

-

myduster360

Reaction score
I picked up this 2013 3.6L Pentastar to swap into my 72 Swinger a few months ago.(Why? its 225lbs lighter & 11" shorter than a SB or Hemi for a better CG for autox.)

20160706_211157.jpg

I'm thinking a couple of these little guys would look pretty good hanging off each head. Yes?
The Jeep crowd are getting around ~400whp after a SC or Turbo on their 3.6L and thats through an auto trans, transfer case and 2 diffs...So my little Tremec T5 and 8-1/4(4.56) should at least match that output.

Ecoboost turbos.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious how much the bellhousing cost. But I'm looking forward to the build. Tuning it should be fun, but I believe you've pm'ed me before on moparts and tuning shouldn't be a problem for you.

Interesting idea,never heard of a Mitsimopardaimlerfca 3.6...Subscription.....

I'm curious how much the bellhousing cost. But I'm looking forward to the build. Tuning it should be fun, but I believe you've pm'ed me before on moparts and tuning shouldn't be a problem for you.

At the time it was considered a "Custom" bell so it was a few hundred more than a standard. I sent it back a couple months because the spacer plate hit part of the oil pan, right below the crank flange

20160723_171312.jpg
20160723_171210.jpg

Last edited:
Will that motor fit without cutting the tunnel/ floor pans?

Will that motor fit without cutting the tunnel/ floor pans?

I did a bunch of measuring of the engine and engine bay last night. No issues whatsoever with tunnel/ floor pans. The biggest issue maybe with the exhaust and motor mounts interfering with the steering gear.

Since the engine is so short in length, the entire engine will fit behind the stock K frame. A different oil pan from a Charger/Caravan, which is longer in front and shorter in height over all than the JK Wrangler, may free up some space

Last edited:
Are you still going to run the Cats and how much extra room do you have on the side since it's a 60 degree block?

That 3.6 is a great little motor. Had one in a 2012 Caravan and have one in my 13 Challenger.

Thanks- that sounds good. I have wondered about that combo myself. Cant wait to see how it fits.

Are you still going to run the Cats and how much extra room do you have on the side since it's a 60 degree block?

Oh no, the cats are far too big
,I found these short dumps off a Charger but even then they measure 27-3/4" wide from left to right,, so it would be VERY tight around the steering column shaft.

im thinking Id probably have to make a custom exhaust pipes that hug the block a bit more since I plan to run the car without turbos at first.

20160914_192455.jpg
20160914_194459.jpg

how much extra room do you have on the side since it's a 60 degree block?

There's not much room as I thought there'd be. Damn DOHC,,lol

Like I said earlier, I took a bunch of measurements last night and then compared it to the overall specs of a 440 as listed in the MP CHassis manual.

WIDTH
Outside Valve cover to Valve Cover
3.6l=23"
440= 23.8"
Production Manifolds
3.6l=27.75" *Charger shown above
440 = 28.8"

LENGTH

Bellhousing Face to C of Fanbelt
3.6l=19.5"
440= 27.2"
Bellhousing Face to Alternator(wrangler alt sits up top and faces backwards)
3.6l= 24"

HEIGHT
Bottom of Pan to top of Production air cleaner
3.6l= 31.2" *plenum
440= 30"
Oil Pan rail to top of valve cover
3.6l= 18"
440=17.7"

Interesting. What I think is nice about the 3.6L is that the manifolds are built into the heads. As shown in your pictures, it should be hard to get a flange to mount to your two down pipes.

Awesome. I'll be watching this one. We have a 3.6 in our '16 200C and its a fun little car and good mpg

Awesome. I'll be watching this one. We have a 3.6 in our '16 200C and its a fun little car and good mpg

It's a little torque monster with a very FLAT trq curve and decent Hp. Just look at STOCK the Torque..250ft-lb from ~1800 all the way to 5500rpm. Play a little with the cam phasers and both Trq & HP could be shifted up a bit a optimized for better performance. At 1/2 the weight it should give a stock Hemi or mild 360 a decent run.

,,plus its Flex Fuel(gotta have E85 with the turbos adn 10:1 cr), Port Injected, its VERY light and very abundant. I've read that as of 2015, Chrysler has made over 5 MILLION so far.

129_1108_10+2012_jeep_wrangler_jk_pentastar+horsepower_graph.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool idea. Good luck. The flanges should not be hard to make. Check for cracks in the heads. The early motors had a recall for cracking. Just FYI...

Very cool idea. Good luck. The flanges should not be hard to make. Check for cracks in the heads. The early motors had a recall for cracking. Just FYI...

Cracks and bad castings in the first couple of years. Careful with boost, these are open decked engines, lots of discussions of these engines on Jeep forums.

-
Back