-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopar92

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Contact seller
I am thinning out my 8.75 chunks. This came out of an A-100 van a buddy parted out a few years ago. He installed it, and never ran it. The van was too rough once he dug into the project. Anyway, I don’t know anything else about it. It’s a 489 with a cone type SG ( Not a posi, I didn’t machine it to fit the GM carrier in it). It appears the pinion has rubbed the carrier at some point in its life. I’ll get better pics here soon. I’ll upload tonight. It feels and looks good enough. It’s just too much gear for any of my drivers. That’s some sort of white lithium grease you see on the ring gear and SG.
$550 plus the ride.

F10EF922-D3A7-4609-AF58-8FECEE5C6944.jpeg

I spoke to my buddy Tommy who was restoring the A-100 it came from. He said the pinion nut came off when he was close to the house and it did indeed rub witness marks in the carrier. That’s all I know about it. I want to be as upfront about anything I sell. So there ya have it. He’s the one that put that cosmoline grease on the ring gear after he pulled it for me. It’s been in my dry shop for 3/4 years wrapped up. Pics make it look funny.

1D301514-0FE0-4695-8DAD-4BC2811D3781.jpeg

B9901B8A-3999-42B6-A1B2-76140016D8A0.jpeg

D62E0CA8-025F-4BA8-97DE-E93C9526C50D.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a 489 with a cone type SG ( Not a posi, I didn’t machine it to fit the GM carrier in it). It appears the pinion has rubbed the carrier at some point in its life.

Do not understand what you are saying..

It’s a 489 with a cone type SG ( Not a posi, I didn’t machine it to fit the GM carrier in it). It appears the pinion has rubbed the carrier at some point in its life.

Do not understand what you are saying..
there are 3 different casting numbers mopar used for their 8 3/4 chunks, each with a different size pinion shaft, 489 is said to be the strongest of the three)

there are 2 types of sure grip units, the cone style and the clutch style (clutch style being more desirable because it is rebuild-able where a cone style technically is not)

posi, is a chevy term for their version of a limited slip differential which would not fit in a 8 3/4 rear axle and a pet peeve of many mopar guys
(just like i cant stand it when people call a lugnut wrench a tire iron)

the rubbing on the carrier is something ill let the OP expound upon

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back