#3 bearing thrust for lunch.

-

jaxle

Reaction score
ok, the long and the short of it.

i have gone through 3 engines and two trans rebuilds.

the same thing continues to happen. my #3 main bearing thrust is being eaten away. the first time i didnt know it was happening until it scattered the engine. the second time i caught it and had different shop rebuild my tranz. now its happening again and the tranz shop says they have never seen this happen before. i need help to get this identifide and resolved i cant keep doing this.

at this point the only thing not changed out is the "heavy" tranz parts. the converter is different and the engine is different.

i did a test and found that as soon as i turn on the car the crank is moved to the forward position. neutral park makes no difference. next step is to unbolt the converter and see if the engine still moves forward.

The converter should not "push" the crank "ahead" if it dose the pump is not engaged correctlly or the snout of the converter is to long. with the converter unbolted u should be able to move it in and out about 5/16". If not something is wrong.

i just checked for the 5/16 and it has it. what else would be pushing on the crank; i can push it back into position when the engine is off.

no, third crank. second block. new converter. same tranz (second rebuild on the tranz.)

i have called a bunch of tranny shops and all of them say it dosent happen on 727s. i also called a bunch of machine shops and all of them say an engine wont move the crank forward on its own for any reason.

Perhaps your dirve-shaft is too long which causes it to bottom to the end of the outgoing shaft of the automatic?

Antoon

ever tried to start an LA engine with the coverter unbolted from the flex plate....ya.

new balanced rods.

so, Question: dose the tip of the output shaft touch the inside of the converter; if there is to much play in the output shaft could it move the converter?

Do you have rubber engine mounts? It sounds to me like the engine is moving too much on it's mounts. I plan to put steel mounts on our Duster to stop it from moving. Leave the flexable mount at the tranny, or you'll stand more of a chance of breaking driveline parts and find a way to stop the engine from dancing 'round.

what year trans is it? and is the output shaft going into the convertor beveled on the end (first quarter or 1/8th inch missing the splines?)

Cope transmission- buy the $18 Mopar book, it tells you how to check the internal clearances.

Well sounds like you have a real delema. I hope its not ketching as the 318 in my truck is exibiting the same symthoms. The whole damper/pulley assy is moving in and out about 1/4" when I rev it up. Makes the belts squel all the time. I'm working on a different motor for it so I just keep driving it. It's my dayly driver. I will tear this motor down when I pull it and look for a reason but thats not going to be for a few months unless it goes BOOM.

-
Back