3 on the tree to a 4 speed, what do I need?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
If I just want to go with a regular a body 833, can I keep the same bellhousing and torque converter thats on the 3 on the tree? Also if I stay with the same 7 1/4 rear, do I need to do anything to the driveshaft or will it fit right in? I'm trying to see what parts I need to make it go as smoothly as possible. Thanks. Oh and the motor is just a slant 6.

Floor shifter, linkage rods, shifter mount plate, shift boot/ring , floor tunnel, new carpet, and what ever you wanna do with the column which could be leaving it in for shz & gigglz.

oh and maybe a new trans slip yoke if bigger.

What year are we talking here? Which 4 speed? Did this to my '66 Valiant. If your current bellhousing is drilled for both patterns you can use it with a 4 speed that has a 4.35" bearing retainer. Mine wasn't but MaMopar started doing that around '68. If you have an 833OD you will need a bellhousing for the 5.125" bearing retainer. The clutch will work since it has 23 splines and you probably won't find an 18 spline transmission. Your crossmember and transmission mount will bolt to the 4 speed as well. Speedo drive and cable is a direct swap. You will need to change the front yoke on the driveshaft to the larger 727/833 yoke to match the output shaft on the tranny. Driveshaft length will be OK with just the yoke change. You will also need a shifter, shifter mount, linkage, and the floor hump for your particular car unless you like driving around with a huge hole in the floor. Pretty simple swap and most of the parts needed are already in place.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. It's a 68 Barracuda by the way. What year(s) 4 speeds will bolt up easiest? Having OD would be nice on gas but it's not going to be my daily driver so it really doesn't matter. I guess I'm just looking for the easiest swap since it's my first time doing anything like this.

-
Back