3 on tree to auto swap

-

nashvegas99

Reaction score
I have a 65 Valiant with /6 225, 3 speed on column. I wanted to ask what tranny would be a direct swap to an automatic.

You should be able to swap in any of them. I plan to put a 360/727 in my 65 Valiant wagon that was originally 170 three on the tree.

Im leaving the engine. Im not great with transmissions and the interiors of them, thats why i was asking what number would be direct fit and bolt and go. Love an old wagon.

Any slant 904 up through 67 with a stock converter will directly bolt to your block. 68 and up 904's will physically bolt to your block but 68 and up have a larger converter snout that is too big for your crank (unless you get the crank pocket machined). Next issue is how are you going to shift it - aftermarket floor shifter or keep it a stock style column shifter, in which case best option is to use the column and associated linkages from a 66 A Body.

I haven't got my engine done for that car yet... On the back burner for a bit, but will get to it some day...

I believe that there is a smaller nose on the torque converter for the early ones and the later ones (I think 68 and newer) have a larger nose. You may need to dig deep into the particulars of that before buying your trans. You need to know which one to go with...

Also, 65 uses the trunion on the drive shaft to trans, where the newer ones used the slip yoke in the back of the trans for the drive shaft...

I believe the diameter of the center hole in the flex plate also needs to be matched to your trans and converter...

Wow, thanks for the info. My only issue right now with the 3/column is that it will not stay in 2nd. Falls out and when clutching it bumps hard at the end of the pedal. She's just a project tinker and runs and drives so im trying to stay on low dollar side.

If you want the easiest bolt in, I would say get a trans from a 65 if possible. That is the last year of the cable controlled trans and trunion for the drive shaft connection at the trans.

66 trans went to linkages and slip yoke on the front of the drive shaft vs trunion for 65...

65 was the only year that they went with a cable shift trans without push button control.

If you use a 66 or 67 trans, then you may need to convert to slip yoke on the drive shaft (grab the shaft with the trans then), and also the linkages and possibly steering column so it all matches correctly...

-
Back